The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
I have a brand new KDX 220. I have done the idle break in with the gas the shop had in the tank. This weekend I will be going for my first ride. First I am wondering what ratio you guys recommend. I am using Bel Ray MC-1 sythetic racing lube. They say I can mix at 50:1. Is this a safe ratio and should I mix at a different ratio for the break-in? Thanx for all your help!!

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I would mix it at 32:1 during break in. I run that mix in my CR 250 and 500. You can lean it out a little more after break in but I wouldnt lean it too much.

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
32:1 is good for break in. Then you can thin the mix out to 50:1. I've used Opti 2 oil with good results. I have known friends who have mixed Opti to 100:1 and said they didn't have problems. Keep an eye on the KIPS valve. They tend to carbon up and break, causing the bike to lose power.

Mike / Team Grizzly

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I ran Amsoil 2000 @50:1 all of last summer in my KDX. Before that I used regular amsoil @40:1. Before that, my brother ran Blendzol @ 40:1. All that time the bike was on the ORIGINAL top end: it had never been taken apart and never gave any problems. The bike is a '95, and was bought new in '97. It has NEVER broken down, I repeat NEVER.

I finally tore the bike down for a rebuild this winter, and everything was much better than I had expected. The powervalves were relatively clean (compared to other pictures and descriptions I have heard about KDX's with less time on them than my bike). The cylinder plating was worn through in one spot, but that is to be expected of an engine with so many (too many to count) hours on it. The bottom end was all solid, no need of any maintenance.

So, in my honest opinion, Amsoil is a great oil, and 50:1 is a perfectly acceptable ratio. I think I may do some experimenting with ratios closer to 40:1 when I get my motor back together; better ring sealing and therefore more power are a possibility.

Regards,
Lutz

john c

Mar 29, 2002
run the first full tank at 32:1 do not dot run bike above 1/2 throttle to long do an easy break in after first full tank change to 40:1 .. change spark plug change gear oil ..but before you ride your bike grease all your bearings . :moon:

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
Thanx for all the good info. I will be switching to the amsoil 2000 series since my dad is a dealer. I offered to test his product for him ;) . I already tore the bike apart and regreased everything. I was a little nervous at first but having the manual and this forum made it very easy. We will be going for our first ride on Sunday temp should be around 60. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaa

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
During breakin go 32-1 for about 10 gallons. Everone I ride with runs 40-1'
and most of us use Spectro..also if you ride in the woods most people use a BRR7ES plug too..

Top Bottom