Oil question, I have been searching

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Ok this isnt related to a dirt bike but I have in my possesion a Polaris pred 500 and I just did a complete teardown of it re-assembled it over the past few days. Everywhere i look people are saying to use the PS-4 oil from polaris, the main thing is I will be doing several oil changes pretty quicly so I can watch and make sure nothing is breaking up. What can I subsitute that oil with that is cheap so i can change it out say the first 30 min then maybe an hour or two after that. I dont want to spend $50 on oil that i will be just wasting away. Is there an alternative to this like the 2 strokes have with using ATF type F? I do have a lot of that around so i was curious if that could work, if not what can I use?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I assume this is a 4 stroke? If so try diesel engine oil such as Delo, Rotella, or Delvac which is available pretty reasonably from places like Wallyworld.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
yes it is a 4 stroke. Whats the difference with the clutch set-ups that make it I can run the atf type f oil. There all wet clutches correct, 2t's and 4t's? About that deisel type oil, what weight am I looking to get?

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
diesel oil is usually 15w40 if i remeber correctly and rotella is the best in my humble opion
(at least thats what the majority of truckers down here recommended when i had my dodge cummins truck)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
2T trans oil is just for the trans, generally on 4T (exceptions with the new divided sump bikes) the oil in the trans also lubricates the rest of the engine as well.

As far as which diesel oil? Dude pick one and you'll be fine, for the purpose you seem to be intending it for it really won't matter. Personally for a run in like you are intending I'd use some Castrol GTX.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
ok guys, simmer down, I just never heard of using a deisel oil, mainly because I dont deal with 4 strokes anyway. I just picked up this 4 wheeler to re-assemble and sell. I will give the deisel oil a shot. Thanks

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
sick 96 250 said:
ok guys, simmer down, I just never heard of using a deisel oil, mainly because I dont deal with 4 strokes anyway. I just picked up this 4 wheeler to re-assemble and sell. I will give the deisel oil a shot. Thanks
im not mad? :nener:

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
sick,

for the break in your talking about i think any quality auto oil will be fine. just make sure it is wet clutch compatible. i don't have any idea how much the polaris stuff is, but what about that valvoline atv stuff. i run the valvoline motorcycle oil in the ttr with good results.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
There are plenty of oils on the shelf that will work quite well in a high rpm 4T.
And probably as many of these oils will also be fine for wet clutch use.
Using an oil that is certified for wet clutch motorcycle use, means that the oil is claimed to have been tested to work with a limited amount of slippage of the clutch.
You will normally pay a very huge premium for using moto-specific, certified oil.

But many other oils that are not marketed as moto specific oils will also pass the same testing criteria.
The heavy duty 4 cycle engine oils (often called diesel oils), have proven to be great fluids in all sorts of high performance applications. And as mentioned, they are available just about everywhere, and come at a very economical price.
Great choices for those who change out as often as they should.

If economy is a huge driving factor, consider Exxon Superflow 10w-40/20w-50 passanger car oils. It can be had at Pepboys and others with rebates for ~$.79 qt. and the stuff holds up quite well in high performance 4t's.

I wouldn't suggest using ATF in a 4t.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom