GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Are there any truth in the statement that a 32:1 mix will give better performance than a 50:1.
The reasoning behind that is that the xtra oil seal better of at the rings and give more compression.
That is if jetted correctly for the mix.

The other side of the coin is that a 50:1 has more fuel in and thus better performance.

Enlighten us on these myths/truths.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
At 50:1 you are not giving your motor the full lubrication it needs. There is also truth to the seal on the rings the oil provides. The higher ratios above 40:1 could be used if you are doing lots of tight woods or "not on the pipe" kind of riding. When chugging the engine your oil is not burnt off as well as higer RPM, so a spark plug could tend to load up and foul out. If you are reving the engine a lot and on the pipe than more oil in your gas is a good idea. How long would a two stroke last with no oil in the gas. Not very long. I run 28:1 since I run the bike hard all the time due to the track I ride. I would probably drop to 35:1 in trail conditions and allowing for the occasional blast down a fire road. But all this is personal preference and everybody has opinions. I take the advice and testing results from guys who did the experiments and published their findings.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Doesn't it depend on the oil manufacturers recommendations?

All 2-stroke oils are not the same.

I use Golden Spectro and they suggest from 42:1 to 64:1 and they claim that ratios of 100:1 routinely pass lubricity tests due to its superior film strength.

The guy who races at my dealer said to run it at 52:1

I have not had any problems.

With "regular" 2 cycle oil, the 32:1 is probably a good place to be.

Just check the plug because the more oil you put in the gas, the leaner you are running.

Do a search on oil sealing and power. I think it was Canyncarvr that posted something about tests by McCulloch on this very subject.

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by GreenPeace
The other side of the coin is that a 50:1 has more fuel in and thus better performance.

An engine is an air pump, and the amount of airflow your cylinder can pull through on each stroke is the limit to max power.

There's always another larger jet available to supply enough fuel for the correct mixture.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Jackpiner57
Doesn't it depend on the oil manufacturers recommendations?

All 2-stroke oils are not the same.

I use Golden Spectro and they suggest from 42:1 to 64:1 and they claim that ratios of 100:1 routinely pass lubricity tests due to its superior film strength.

The guy who races at my dealer said to run it at 52:1

I have not had any problems.

With "regular" 2 cycle oil, the 32:1 is probably a good place to be.

Just check the plug because the more oil you put in the gas, the leaner you are running.

Do a search on oil sealing and power. I think it was Canyncarvr that posted something about tests by McCulloch on this very subject.
I would like other opinions on this too.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Jack, I know you can ask dumb questions, make silly remarks and even make spelling mistakes on this forum and you wo'nt get stoned to death.
But oh boy, if you didnt use the search function before asking a question, you had it.....
With good reason.

Thats why i did search and couldnt get anything. I even searched canyn's article on power and oil seal and still coudnt get up with anything.
Can you please point me to the thread where those info are.

Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: I think it was Canyncarvr that posted something about tests by McCulloch on this very subject..

Yes I did, but I did NOT post a link to the site that referenced that material. I recalled it coming from a tech article by RR, but didn't say so, cuz I couldn't document it.

Since (and within the past couple of weeks) RR has referenced the same 'white paper' from mcculloch.

The point of the research by mcculloch was this: The more oil they used in a given volume of fuel, the more power the engine made. This continued to be true to the point of being unable to keep a spark going in the mixture (plug foul).

Jetting was adjusted to maintain the same A/F ratios thoughout.

I've just gone through five pages of a google search for 'mcculloch fuel oil ratio', didn't find it this time either. I'll let you wade through the next eight pages! ;)

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have an article cut out with that test on the RM250 and debunking other myths about less oil is a good thing.
After reading my magazines I take the pertinant maint and riding tips out and put them all together into a binder. Man does that save on looking through stacks of mags.
Carver is correct with his overview of the article.
What amazes me, is to hear that pro 125 guys change piston and rings out after every moto. Primal impulse mechanic stated that in a English magazine.
So is the damage to the rings and piston caused due to running with little oil to gas ratio, because they say it is worn out after 30 minutes.
I am really scratching my balding head over that one.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by tedkxkdx
I have an article cut out with that test on the RM250 and debunking other myths about less oil is a good thing.
So for engine longevity we should be running 32:1 and jetting for best response?

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Do a search with "oil ratio" in the Advanced Technology and Engineering" forum, look for the thread"OIL RATIO (AGAIN)". 17th I think, lots of info.
Good luck.
DVO

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
GreenPeace: Glad to help. I've been on this site for awhile now and only recently (2wks ago) figured out why my searches were coming up empty. I finally discovered that I had to specify at forum...
Hey, better late than never
DVO

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom