OK guys C & C needed on motion blurs

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
This weekend lighting was brutal to work with and I got sick of working around glare on number plates and decided to try some bur shots.
I set up in TV mode using 1/125 and shot away

I seem to think now I was working backwards by using a lower (2.8) f stop to achieve the blur as the better ones seem to be in the 10 or 11 area

these were as close as I came to any keepers

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I usually do my panning with a relatively short lens, say my 17-40 or 24-70, and I also hit them with a flash if possible. I have tried to do shots like the ones you posted, but end up with about the same results. :bang: Below is a sample of what I've been doing lately with panning with the exif intact, but my general rule of thumb (FOR ME) is to start at 1/100 f10 iso100 and adjust from there.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Some of those look good to me on this poor monitor at work. The one of Eric appears decent and #84 looks like a hit. I'd like to try to flash some of the pans like Emile but I never seem to get around to it on a regular race day, sometimes I get too focused on getting the regular volume of shots instead of the stuff I want to shoot.

When I shoot pans of late it seems I use TV (shutter priority) at between 1/60 and 1/100, set the iso to 100 and let the f stop end up where TV priority sets it with the conditions. I shot a bunch of pans this weekend but don't have access to them at work, if I get a chance tomorrow afternoon I'll put a few up with exif. All my pans are on the ground, been trying to find a jump around here with a decent background to blur instead of just sky!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks for the input I was using the TV and next time will go to a slower shutter as well. I think I also had the ISO set way to high after looking at your suggestions.
I wish I had played at the track the week before because the backgrounds were much better then what our track has.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…