OK, how about a XR200R, XR250R, or TT-R250?

Twin Cam Tom

Feb 21, 2002
Thanks for your comments about the TT-R225 in the post “Will I look Like a Little Girl”. Most of you think a TT-R225 isn’t right for me. Do you have the same opinion of the Honda XR200R? It is about the same price as the TT-R225, and quite a bit less expensive than the XR250R and the TT-R250.

Speaking of the XR250R, I’ve read past posts on this and another forum and have seen a lot of comparisons between it and the Yamaha WR250F. It seems to me that a better comparison would be with the TT-R250.

I am a street rider, but I’ve recently bought a four stroke dirt bike for my kids and plan to buy more. I want a four stroke bike to ride with them. I think a “play bike” is the correct term. Judging from responses to my previous post, there are several bikes that will meet my needs. I’ll keep my eye on the classifieds to see if I can find a good deal on a used bike. All the Japanese manufacturers have a 250 to 300cc four stroke for around $4,700. If I buy new, I’ve got it narrowed down to either a Honda or Yamaha. I like the TT-R250, but I like my Honda dealer better.

Will a XR200R meet my needs, or will I feel as much like a little girl as if I were on a TT-R225? In case I need a bigger bike, how does the XR250R compare to the TT-R250?

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
Again, check out the DRZ400. For the money you're willing to pay, you will not be disappointed. I got a brand new DRZ400 for my 67 year old dad for $4800 + delivery. Nothing else. You can get one year olds for $4000 or less (don't get one that's been hopped up for racing though, even though they can be had for less than $3500). Just about anyone can ride it, from teenager to senior citizen, with hard rockers in the middle. It's not a race bike, but it's bulletproof and has more power than the 200/250 fourstrokes, yet you can lug it around like a low-displacement four banger. My dad used a small mod to take the travel down 3 inches in back and has a bike that he can handle anywhere (nice seat height); yet I can rip on my neighbors with my unmodified DRZ. Finally, forget the XR200; as a former XR rider, I can tell you that you will likely be disappointed.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get. It's great to see a family that rides together!

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
At your size, dont even consider the XR 200. It is smaller than the other bikes, and the power and suspension to match. My riding buddy has a few of them for his daughter and wife, because they needed the smaller frame. At your size stick with the full size bike, at least a 250 4 stroke, or minimum 200 2 stroke. Personally I would go with a 400 if you choose 4 stroke, the power isnt going to get away from you, and they are large enough ergonomically.

Top Bottom