OK Marcus, help me out

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I blew a fork seal on the katoom. I've serviced to marzocchi on my 98, no problems. On the 01 with 43mm wp's, different story. I thought both wp forks should be the same but they're not. The right side has in this order: dust seal, cir-clip, oil seal, coned shaped washer and a bushing. The left side has dust seal, cir-clip, oil seal, flat washer and a bushing. The left side popped right in but the right side was very very tight. Are they suppossed to be different? I'm afraid I damaged the seal on the right side because I had to use so much force to get everything compacted enough to get the clip on. Any advice?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Jeff-something very strange goung on here-ive serviced about 6 sets of WPs and never had a difference(one leg to the other) like you describe.I think you need to go to a dealer and buy the proper spacers to go under the oil seal.Sounds like some one has thrown in some non WP parts before you had the bike.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Jeff, Marcus,
Your forks fine.. The problem is your washer is bent.. This is suposed to be flat.. Heat your tubes next time.. Bend it back straight, and then drive your bushing in first then your seal...Exspereince teaches you many things..

Regards,
Jer

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks Jer, I did figure out that it is bent. The only problem? is I already put it back and it's still bent. In other words I didn't straighten it out. Do you thnk and problems will result?

I need to replace the dust seal on that side and they are on back order so it won't be a problem to fix at that time. Any advice on racing tomorrow with the fork the way it is? Also would you recomend replacing that oil seal again? I may have damaged it installing with the bent washer.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Jeff,
As long as you got it all together, you "Should" be fine.. However..I have seen bent so far that they actually press against the sealing lip.. This increases friction, and will cause the seal to leak.. Wp's are not likely going to be bent that bad..Ohlins on the other hand.....

Try a WP distributor for your seals.. There are more than a few around the country.. They won't be back ordered on fork seals..

Regards,
Jer

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks Jer

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
a little follow up

Got to thinking about what you said ""As long as you got it all together, you "Should" be fine.. " I had such a hard time getting the circlip to lock in I was afraid it may come loose. Don't want that to happen. I ended up taking it back apart to have a look. Jer was right, the washer was bent bad . Get this Marcus, it looked like a bushing or spacer. It was turned completely verticle all the way around. I took a cresent wrench and slowly turned it back into shape then put it in a vice to make it flat. Polished it up and popped it back in. Everything fit this time. FYI Jer, I did heat the tube prior to 1st removal, can these things bend under use or maybe someone else bent it and put it back in bent like I did. One thing for sure, I bent it more trying to get the new seal in the 1st time.
I figure I will have to change it again when I change the dust seal but I feel better about riding it tomorrow and not worrying if the tubes will come apart.;)

It took me almost 7 hours to get the right fork done last night, the left one took about 30 minutes. Today it took about 30 minutes to redo the right fork and that included straightening the washer.

Thanks guys.:)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…