OK to ride with slightly hooked sprocket?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
The rear sprocket on my 98KX250 is starting to hook. (Renthal sprockets, Regina chain: lasted about 1 season) I know it's time to replace both and will do so soon. But in the meantime, is there any danger in riding with a slightly hooked sprocket? Will the chain suddenly break and throw me over the bars? I'm looking at the MX chain and sprocket package on Jaybirds website for replacement. Looks like a great deal for quality products. Any other suggestions on chain sprocket combo packages? Don't want to run an o-ring due to rubbing on my case at the countershaft.

Thanks

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Tex,
When your chain has stretched far enough to hook the sprocket teeth, you run a risk of actually loosing teeth from the CS, rear, or both. And yes, a chain can snap easier when elongated than if within spec. Not a very likely event under normal conditions, but a small rock could help with a quick demise.

No matter where you purchase your new set, be sure to practice good chain and sprocket maintenance and you will be happy with your set-up. Expensive is not always better. MFG's make some items extremly hard (and expensive) so they will last at least what you think they should with minimal care....however, cheaper items can last just as long, or longer, if you take good care of them.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks Jaybird. You know, I still have the original OEM chain and sprockets from this bike. I took them off after about three rides and have had them in storage ever since. My plan had been to hang on to them until I sell then reinstall. I could just buy a rear sprocket, (I like 1 tooth up from OEM), and run this OEM stuff for a while. In your opinion, would you stick with plan A or run this stuff now? I've just always heard the OEM stuff was really low quality. But now I'm concerned about sinking more $'s into this relatively old bike. Thanks in advance.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If the teeth on your original sprockets are not worn, and if the chain measures good, then use your old stuff.

I have a beef with those who claim low quality OEM stuff. Sure, it's not going to be the highest grade equipment available, but it can last a good long time IF taken care of properly.

In just about every instance of a person claiming his OEM stuff is junk, you can find at least one point of good chain/sprocket maint that the person had neglected. It's hard to tell folks that they are missing a point or two since most feel they do everything correctly.
It's an ego thing most times.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I can attest that OEM stuff is not all that bad.

I have at least 50 hours on the stock sprockets on my 02 YZ250 and they are still looking great. I changed the chain to a $28 cheapie at about 35 hours because the stock one was beginning to show wear.

The cheap chain is still running awesome, lubed of course every ride and sometimes inbetween.

I am happy that I don't have to buy new sprockets anytime soon!!! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom