Old graphics removal tips?

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
heat or chems? Was thinking of trying denatured alchohol on son's kx shroud graphics. Also wondered if there's any good application tips, hate sticker's always seem to get a bubble.

I'm looking for new graphics for my ktm as well, haven't seen much selection.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
A heat gun works the best. Don't bother with a blow dryer it doesn't get hot enough. When using a heat gun don't try to heat it so much that they bubble off or you might melt the plastic. Just heat them enough to loosen the glue so you can pull them off with a little resisitance. Once you get them off use Lift Off to remove the goo that is left behind.

- Walt

01RM125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2002
I'll third the heat gun. I have an old hair dryer (wish I had a good heat gun), and with patience, it works for me. As far as removing left over glue gunk, I have had best results with WD40 and more heat. I think the WD40 keeps the gunk from resticking to the plastic as you push it around. I then use Dawn dish detergent, then contact cleaner to get the WD40 (and whatever else) off.
The “bubble problem”. I always try to start large graphics in the middle then work to the edge. Any bubbles near the edge I get out by pushing a needle (a thin very long one) in from under the edge of the graphic to the bubble, then work it out, bubble to edge. It takes me forever to put on graphics, but I get good results.
I have read that other people (probably more knowledgeable than me) put Windex or mildly soapy water under the graphic; so that they can move it around then work out any bubbles. I have not tried this yet (have worried I will not do it right, so will not get good sticker adhesion). Maybe someone who does this can comment.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I tried goo gone today on some smaller sections. It worked, sort of. If I had a heat gun, I would give that a shot.

endo2000

Dec 8, 2002
when I apply new graphics I wash off the part with denatured alcahol using a white paper towel. Then I spray the panel with windex, As I peel the backing off of the graphic I give it alittle squirt of windex about every 3 of 4 inches to keep the graphic for sticking to anything by accident. The windex will allow you to "float" the graphic in to place. Then I start from the center out, using a plastic body squegee and a paper towel to wipe up the excess windex that will be squeezing out from under the graphic. when I have the panel almost done I'll break out the heat gun and soften ant tough spots. I let the graphics set for a day or two and check all the curves and edges to make sure they are stuck down and wipe off any excess adhesive with another paper towel and alcahol. Take your time and you will be impressed with your results.

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
I do graphics all the time the same way endo2000 described, but I use a chemical better than windex, sorry that I don't know exactly what it is but I got it from a local graphix place in a gallon jug that you delute with water. I have used windex in the past and the results are about the same.

As far as removing the graphics, try 3M Adhesive remover. This is the best stuff I have ever used and I have tried a lot of chems. The glue just dissapears, unlike when you use goo-gone and have little boogers everywhere. Can get it at Fleet Farm or an auto body shop. Well worth the couple of extra bucks.

pcrable

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2002
A Pressure Washer also works pretty well at removing graphics if you are intentionally trying to get the water under the stickers. It does leave a bit of a mess since you get little pieces of the graphics blasted all over the place ;-)

--Phil

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…