Applying graphics -- any "gotchas"?

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Got my monster graphic kit in the mail earlier in the week, and I've been since reading up and watching tutorials on applying new graphics. Think I've got a pretty good understanding about it and how to avoid the pitfalls.. but I'm wondering if there are any "quirks" or "gotchas" to the process that most wouldn't know without experiencing them first hand. Any special tricks or things to avoid when applying new graphics?

My understanding is you should heat up the old graphics with a hair dryer, pull em off, clean the plastics really well (I've got some decal remover liquid), then dry. Heat up new graphics slightly (to make them more bendy) and apply some soapy water to the plastics to avoid the graphics from instantly sticking and so you can adjust the position easier, then squeegee out the liquid and air bubbles (kind of like when applying tint).

I miss anything?

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Ya....don't do like I did right after spending 83.00 on original ones just for the tanks and go riding and slide my boot up and put a huge gash all the way through the sides.....ARGH!!!!!!! :bang:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I don't use heat right away when applying the new graphics, I use it later when I'm done.

I never had any luck with soap and water to apply graphics. I always use glass cleaner. Once you spray down the piece of plastic lay the new graphic down and by using the glass cleaner you can slide it around on the plastic easier. Try to have it pretty close on the first try. You don't want to have it nowhere near where it should lay and have to work it back into place.

Once you have it in place use your plastic squeegee to start from the middle and work your way out. Don't rush it, take your time. After you have worked all of the air bubbles out, you can then use heat to tighten up the sides and around the bolt holes. Once all of that is in place I will use the heat across the whole piece.

TAKE YOUR TIME! Don't try to slap them on in a few minutes.
Make sure you have everything ready.
If by some chance you still have air bubbles you can use a small pin to poke the air pocket and use the squeegee to push the air out of the hole. Then you can use the heat to seal that area back up.

Graphics always apply better to new plastic. If you are using old plastic make sure it's clean. The few times I have used old plastic I wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I agree with Mxgirl on not using soap water. I usually do it dry but I have done quite a few so usually get lucky. If you use something to help keep it from sticking right away a glass cleaner (windex) is usually the best. Stay away from heat until you get to spots that you need a little bit more flex to make curves- if you heat to much the graphics can stretch easier giving a worse fit.

I like to only tear off the backing in portions that I am working at that time most of the time I do it in 1/3s so the opposite end does not rest on the plastic and stick in the wrong place. Use the squeegee or a clean cloth to work bubbles out as you go and then before the final dry use a sharp needle to punch a hole and then smooth the bubble out thru it.

I also like to leave the finished plastics sit in the sun for a day or two to set up the glue before riding

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Use rubbing alcohol to prep the plastic. I've had good success using straight water out of a fine mist spray bottle. It will allow the graphic to be tacky on the plastic, but easily pulled up if yoo notice an air bubble or need to reposition. I go at it like Oldguy, a little at a time while slowly pulling away the backing. Most of the graphics I've done need to be stretched a little in areas to get all the bolt holes and contours lined up.Don't worry too much about the tight areas in the shrouds and stuff until you get the main surface down. Once its down I use a credit card inside a couple socks to apply moderate pressure to push out any moisture and stick it down good. I avoid heat if at all possible, it seems to make the glue less sticky. It usually takes me about a half hour to do a shroud.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Hey,

When I do graphic kits in my shop, I usually prep with rubbing alcohol. The cleaner, the better !. Don't peal the backing off all at one time. Use masking tape to position the graphic, then when you're happy with where it sits, pick a spot to start and gradualy peal the backing off as you go along. Take your time. As you're applying the graphic, rub with a soft cloth outward in small sections at a time. You will need to stretch and shrink sections as you apply the kit. Use the heat generated from the friction of you rubbing it to stretch and shrink it. After the graphic is compleatly on, take a heat gun or hair dryer and LIGHTLY heat the graphic to cure the glue. Finish with a bit of "armourall" or other vinyl protectant. P.S. don't use the armourall on the seat unless you want the bike to accelerate right out from underneith you. You probably already knew that but I had to add it just incase. Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME !!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll figure out about where I want to start and make sure the backing is split there if not I'll use a sharp exacto and cut the backing there so I can start at the biggest potential bubble location and work out for the edges.

-SUPER CLEAN plastic and work area, nothing like picking up dirt and fuzz from past projects under your new graphics.
-Tape in position for sure.
-I tried soapy water, plain water, rubbing alcohol and have settled on dry application with heating after everything is worked in to position.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Pred wrote that he barks at the graphics much like Curley does.

ARPHH ARPHH...why you I'll moyder you!!!

NYUK NYUK NYUK....

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Pretty much done, have to add a new gripper seat cover but the big job is out of the way...

3142186103_7d9b68a980.jpg

And the before shot...

2838641924_62e393a967.jpg

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Looks good. I think you would be better off with an 65 though, how do you get on? :whoa: :nener: :)

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
lol I like big toys ;) That little guy is getting a KTM 50 tomorrow, but shhh, he doesn't know yet :) Can't wait to see his eyes light up.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Looks good! :cool: The last set of number plate graphics I ordered, I also purchased the application spray and was surprised how much easier it made the job instead of using soap and water or Windex.

MXDAD117

Jan 5, 2009
Applying the graphics dry is suicide! Your just asking for trouble. I've always used rubbing alcohol to prep and Windex for a "sliding" application. It's always best to size up first, as light trimming is likely, and who wants razor marks in their plastic, right?!

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
We got my girlfriends little boy a crf50 last year for his 4th birthday, but ever since he saw a ktm 50 at the dealership thats what he wants next

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Yeah those KTM50s look like mini motocross bikes! Real nice and sporty looking. The one I'm picking up tonight is a '99, can't wait!

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
He had a great day brownies and a new dirt bike not real sure which is better

Looks like you get to try out your graphic applying skills again

Top Bottom