hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
Greetings - newbie here. I sold my orange thumper a few months ago and am making my old backup bike, a 92 KDX, my primary ride. Seeing as I don't ride too often it makes sense. This bike is in great shape and runs excellent.

Is there anyway to quiet this old "chainsaw" down? It has a stock silencer. I think I repacked it a year or two ago. I don't want to loose any performance, but it really is loud.

Any suggestions?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The stock silencer on the 89-94's is a good unit, and a black hole for sound. I don't know of any quieter silencer you could put on. Have you cleaned and repacked it?

hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure its stock and pretty sure I repacked it a couple years ago. I dont remember any spark arrestor in the can.

I guess I will leave well enough alone, but I can tell you fo sure: IT IS VERY LOUD

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
If it is very loud, something is wrong. Take a quick picture and we can let you know if it's stock. packing is in the rear half, spark arrestor in the front half. Just a pic on the bike and I can tell you if it's the correct silencer.

If you don't need a sparky, the DG silencer is nice and quiet, and a good solid unit.

hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
I found the markings on it. Its definitely stock. I will pull it out and check packing and report back.

If I need a DB, do I need to re-jet?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008

hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
Thanks Julien - I'll take it apart when I get a chance and show some pics.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I made a turndown outlet that fits right in using a 1" 90 degree copper street elbow, it puts the sound into the ground, quite effective, plus frequent repack around that short center section in the SA/silencer.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I would try a repack and see how that goes.

BTW, I don't know if the '92 is the same as a '90 (I think it is) but here is a pick of the stock silencer disassembled. Part #3 is the spark arrestor section of the silencer.

90KDXsilencerdisassembled.jpg

hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
SS109 - nope, I don't remember all those parts last time I had it apart. The "can" is the same, but the guts are not. Someone must have opened her up alittle.

I see some for sale on ebay....maybe I'll make a bid.

Anybody got a bead on a used stock one that will fit a '92?

thx all

hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
update:

Received a used silencer from ebay. Noticed it was about 6 inches longer than mine...bottom line, the one on mine had been cutdown (good job, looked factory). The "new" one mounted fine and sounds great.....QUIET!

hinmo

Oct 4, 2009
here in the land of the liberal (Taxachusetts) it all about being as quiet as possible....if you get my drift!

they spend billions trying to catch us, rather than millions on a legal place for us to ride. My local spot, they have chased us for years....until they strip-mined it and put up condos.....huh?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom