Older 4-stroke twin sometimes makes noise

scooter27

Sep 11, 2000
I've just aquired this '75 CB360 with 14k miles. It had been left sitting for a long time. At first she was running really lean. I rebuilt the carbs to find lots of gunk in the bowls. I soaked and scrubbed and carb cleaned and reassembled. Then it started right up and ran great. I put maybe 3 miles on her then took her to the gas station. Topped her off with premium and off I go....I didn't get out of the parking lot before she started making a noise like metal on metal at the frequency of RPM. I turned her off and bummed for about a minute. I tried to check the oil level again be couldn't get the cap off. I contemplated walking home to get the truck. I pushed her an heard the chain rubbing on the center stand and thought, could this have been the noise I heard? I decided it was worth the chance and started her up again. And no noise, thank GOD. I ran her around the neighborhood another 15 minutes and on a downhill near my house the noise came back. I pulled in the clutch and she stalled and I coasted into the driveway.

scooter27

Sep 11, 2000
UPDATE!! I changed the very dirty oil with 3 parts motor oil and 1 part MarvelMysteryOil. It gave a couple clanks upon start up then the noise went away. I rode around the neighborhood for 45 minutes in the blazing 94+ degree heat and still no noise whatsoever.
The conclusion I draw is that my previous noise was a result of oil starvation on the top end. Would you agree? BTW, where is the oil filter if there is one? Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,

Scott

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Well, if the oil was REALLY dirty, more than likely it was old and "worn out" too. Probably lost a lot of its lubricity.
As far as where the oil filter is, i dont believe those old twins had one.
At least not a spin on, or cartridge type filter anyway.
Many old Honda's used a small square screen type filter that the side case of the engine needs to be removed to get at.
Best thing to do, is (if your lazy like me) just keep fresh oil in there (every 500 or so miles) and clean it once a year. Depending on how many miles you put on it of course.
Might want to check -w- your manual or friendly neiborhood Honda dealer. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom