RECENT POSTS

Older bikes as fast as the new bikes ?

we only have one race left, and i can say right now that i am 34 out of 87. This is also my first year at this track and my first year racing. My friends always push me to buy a "newer" bike but the ol' 90'cr does enough for me to go home with a smile on my face. I notice that some people buy the bike that has just come out and if i try i can beat some of them. Unless we were racing PRO then the level at which some of us are racing at it really doesn't matter. I always tell my friends who forked out the $6000 for their new bikes that there is no way that they are having more fun then me, just b/c their on a bike 15 years newer than mine. just think if us riders who ride ol' Skool bikes can get really good racing them, then we should be able to do really good once or if we get a "newer" bike. :) :ride: :aj:

I find it very hard to believe a '87 CR250 would have only 35 crank HP, considering the slightly milder '86 ATC250R was rated at 39 HP. Maybe those were rear wheel numbers, and of course you have to consider the correction factor applied (if any) and the heat, humidity, etc at the time the dyno took place.

All of the racing '80s 2-stroke trikes and quads were pushing from high 30s to up to 42 HP (Tecate-4) by '88. The 4-strokes are just now really catching up in the ATVs and bikes.

I salute you guys with the 500 2-strokes, that takes lots o cojones!! I may get one at some point for the sheer experience of it, I don't care if I would be quicker on a MX track with a 250, the 500s must be the ultimate adrenaline machines, and that's the only reason I ride. My day job pays the bills, not my weekend hobby. :nod: And if 2-strokes are politically incorrect? :moon:

Last edited:
I can jump off of my 79 RM400 and on to my 04 KX250 and powerwise, it's not a whole lot different. The RM doesn't have the smooth powerband that the KX has and the suspension is night and day with the KX beating it hands down. At top speed, the KX feels way more stable than the RM but speed wise, they are about the same. That being said, the fun factor is still at an all time high for both of them. You just ride the bikes within their limits. Most older and/ or larger displacement bikes are not riding mistake friendly. It really doesn't matter what year or size your bike is though, it's how well you take care of them and what your expectations out of them are. "Almost" any new, (not made in China), bike is going to do something a little better than last years model.

Britt

as for your research on the 1987 bikes making mid 30s hp.. i have a stock 1984 rm125 that puts out 41hp, wich is the same as a stock 1986 rm250, and yet the 250 weighs 15 pounds more.

Come on, fellows. Each dyno reads differently. Unless you put each bike on the same dyno in the same conditions, you will not get comparable numbers.

And, again, is the measurement at the crank or at the rear wheel.

Wow..This is an old thread!!!

I haven't been here for a while and tried to log in several times but failed because I couldn't remember my user name...Started seaching around and decided to look in the 2 stroke forum to see what folks were talking about these days and the thread I started was on the first page and saw the user name and.......It was mine! Helped me to remember....

Yeah..Old thread...84 RM125 is a neat bike but I'm not so sure about 41 HP.....

Anyway reading over the thread many interesting comments....Kind of miss the 80's..Just doesn't seem the same anymore...Seems today the largest difference is in the chassis refinements....

And that John 3-16 is why I want to put a 82 cr480 motor in an aluminum frame, 125 or 250f. I have a guy for the welding. I have the engines. A guy in Pa has my rolling frame! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
And that John 3-16 is why I want to put a 82 cr480 motor in an aluminum frame, 125 or 250f. I have a guy for the welding. I have the engines. A guy in Pa has my rolling frame! Vintage Bob

Oh wow...Definitely keep us updated on that...Sounds like fun project!

Just an FYI, the Honda CR125 based shifter Kart engines dyno (at the wheels) at just over 50HP.

A typical one has the power valves removed, otherwise stock internals, stock porting, stock piston and head. The key is the pipe and carb.

And, many of those engines are quite old.

Old thread, I know. But on the point of bike weight, I don't think they have appreciably changed since the original Honda Elsinore came out in 1973. Yamaha had some late 70s, early 80s porkers probably somewhat due to the shock/swingarm. But even those weren't a great deal heavier than what you see now. The lightest works bikes ever were in the early to mid 70s before the AMA put in a minimum weight rule. Some of the factories had to put lead in parts of the frame to increase the weights when the rule went into effect. As others pointed out, it is the suspension that makes todays bikes vastly superior. But look at the films of the old riders and they were probably going darn near as fast as todays riders. Just didn't have as many crazy ass jumps to contend with.

Got back into racing this past winter, had sold off my 02 WR 250F along time ago.
Asked the o'le lady if I could get another bike and she "umm ok"
So got an old 93 RM 250. Sent the susp. off & tuned in, Applied triple tree, upgraded some parts/bearings/IMS wide footpegs, put on bark busters and am now racing against mostly 2010/2011 4 strokes in my class and am loving it (finally after I worked out the bugs). Got my first win a few weeks ago in the Sen. B class and now bumping up to A since my condition is back and the bike is right and overalls are within the A class times.

Here is a vid. my daughter made at the AMA Vintage Harescramble in Ohio a few weeks ago of the 93RM at work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJZhR50AVQ

OLD BIKES ROCK!

Casper250 said:
There's a guy in my racing district that looks like he came from a time warp from the late 80's. His bike, his gear, his truck are all from the late 80's and he has to be in his late 30's early 40's. This guy flat out flys on the track. He came in 3rd in the 250 expert class and was in a bike length or two of second place. The first and second place guys were riding 450's and he was riding an old CR250.

His bike looked stock. Stock seat cover, stock pipe, rear drum brake, and neon blue grips. So I would say that older bikes will always be as competative as rider who rides it.
Dood, get that on video, or convince him to wear a helmet cam. I would love to watch that.