Older bikes as fast as the new bikes ?

Thats the key. Japs measure at the crank. Euro's generally measure at the gearbox with a roughly 7% loss between the two readings. But 42 HP would definietly be at the crank.....not the rear wheel.

Casper, thanks for the pic! It looks like an '87 to me. It has a rear disc. I think the '86 had drum brakes, but I don't know for sure.

jon316- why do you say he has an 80's style? I am purely trying to learn here, not making any jokes at all. Thanks.

JasonWho said:
Casper, thanks for the pic! It looks like an '87 to me. It has a rear disc. I think the '86 had drum brakes, but I don't know for sure.
Yes, that's an 87.

You are correct in that the 86 had a rear drum. The 88 was blood red and had the first "low boy" pipe.

:ride:

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

jon316- why do you say he has an 80's style? I am purely trying to learn here, not making any jokes at all. Thanks

If you ever have a chance to look at some old magazines you'll see some similarities...Ususally handling of the bike will affect the riding style(unless a guy is what they call a squid and he's riding new bike and he's hanging off the bike like they did in the 70's)...Over time, bikes have gotten better and riding styles have changed to make the most of the way the bike handles.....Today that faster riders tend to appear more neutral and arched on the bike...By contrast in the 70's you would see the top riders using the rear of the bike more and they would be hanging off the back...This is because that style worked best on those bikes...

I had my 89 yz125 dynoed just after i rebuilt the motor, it made about 29 hp. The bike is pretty much stock except for procurcuit pipe and silencer. I was fairly impressed, but when riding the newer bike i can definatly feel the extra power they have.

for some reason everytime i talk to someone at a dealership about my bike they tell me its a really fast bike

I have an old '76 Rokon that is a little weak on top speed, but it will do amazing well against new 450 4 stroke bikes out of the gate. Where it really sucks compared to new bikes is in the suspension ("sucks" is too mild of a term).
I had an old '82 PE 175 (suzuki), It was probably as fast as my '02 KTM 200, but the KTM has so much smoother, wider power band... no comparison. The new engines may not be much faster in terms of peak hp., but they are certainly better.

I have a 1986 CR 125 and i say go the old 2 strokers. I have had drag races with my friends who have newer model 125's. One is a 2002 KX 125 and the other is a 2000 YZ 125. Let me tell you now that my bike is a mid to high range thumper and straight of the line im in the lead, but as soon as i hit 6th gear and rev it out the newer bikes take over on top speed. On tight cornered dirt tracks with short straits I almost always win the race, almost meaning, out of 10 races i win 7.
Any suggestions on how to gain top speed?

cr_kid said:
I have a 1986 CR 125 and i say go the old 2 strokers. I have had drag races with my friends who have newer model 125's. One is a 2002 KX 125 and the other is a 2000 YZ 125. Let me tell you now that my bike is a mid to high range thumper and straight of the line im in the lead, but as soon as i hit 6th gear and rev it out the newer bikes take over on top speed. On tight cornered dirt tracks with short straits I almost always win the race, almost meaning, out of 10 races i win 7.
Any suggestions on how to gain top speed?
Sure. A smaller gear on the back wheel, and a bigger gear on the front (your engine).

Thats about the only way to gain more top end, other than putting an "overev" pipe on (but the gear ratio thing is alot more practical)

Of course, if you do that, you may not beat your friends in acceleration anymore :P

Yes, there is a big difference in old from new, but both are vastly more capable than 99% of the riders out there so in reality it doesn't make a huge difference. A guy on a 1988CR125 won the B class and placed well overall in a harescramble I was racing. I did just fine in B class mx on a 93KX250 (though I did port, polish, jet, etc...~42hp).