Mar 18, 2006
I've been wanting to post this for a long time. And I think this is the place to do it.

My kids want to start racing Moto X. I am somewhat terrified. I raced myself a long time ago for a couple of short seasons, but alas, I wasn't very good and I couldn't afford it while I went to college. That was then. This is now. I now know how my mom felt.These are my kids (teenagers)! Both have been trailriding for about 5 seasons on good bikes. Due to the distance to tracks (minimum 1 1/2 hours) with very few to choose from, and the fact that we have pretty excellent trail riding on the farm and all over the area, they have only a few rides on a moto track. They did ok. They made the jumps and all, but really don't yet have the skills. It opened their eyes though. We've been to some local races. Tragically, at the first race we saw together a few years ago, a family lost their teenage boy. It still hurts to think about it. The new tracks scare me. The big, blind jumps are terrifying, yet the kids don't seem to think there's anything wrong with 4th gear flights to uncertain landings. Maybe it's just me. The old tracks had their dangers too, obviously, but less injuries as I remember. Now, I don't care if someone breaks their shoulder or something. That happens all the time. I did it too (or at least separated it). I am worried about the big ones. Paralysis or death. Is it a crap shoot? I am planning on building a track at the farm where they can practice.This will help a lot. The oldest just plain loves to ride and shows moments of real skill. And has told me that he is going to race anyways as soon as he can make his own decision. I'm leaning really hard to let them get-at-er. And I can help them some. I am thinking of some moto and enduro racing this summer.

Any thoughts?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A practice track at home will help a lot with them being capable and comfortable once they hit their first race. I would suggest that you make it similar to whetever tracks they will be riding elsewhere.

I would suggest NOT taking them to a track that has large jumps with blind landings. I would try to find a safer track to start with or even try entering a hare scramble or enduro first instead of a MX race.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Neck braces? And a really neat track on your farm! Honestly, some of my best practice was on a big figure 8 track in the sand. Then start adding parts and table top jumps.

Mar 18, 2006
I appreciate the input guys. We've been doing some figure eight stuff in sand (with small hills, off cambers and things for a few years). Figure eights are some of the best practice on any bike (road or dirt), I think. My wife will be happy when some of the horse pasture turns into a track, but she knows we like it (it took her a while). And I've already warned her. I didn't think that a track existed anymore without blind jumps all over. The "enduro first" idea is a good one. There are very few events around here, however. I did talk to some one recently who can direct me in the right direction. A really excellent guy, too. So I'm going to get on that. I guess I should look into neck braces. They are spendy for sure. Are the cheaper ones any good? I find that having two kids the same age/size is expensive to say the least. And we've only been wearing knee pads to date(the hockey style), not knee braces. And those are expensive too. I think I have to make a choice, one or the other. Neck braces I think.

I'm trying to keep tabs on a local motocross clinic that sometimes happens in the spring. I also want to build a track that would appeal to a local guy I know who has 5 years in the expert class up here. He already told me, "if I build it, they will come". And he's a great young guy.I worked with him a few weeks ago and got to know him a little better. He didn't race last year, and it's killing him. He wants to go again.

Hopefully my plans pan out.

So anyways, I'm rambling again.

Thanks again :)

Mar 18, 2006
Yes they do. We are going to visit a few of them. Don't seem to burn as much gas at the track. The kids were shocked. They put a tank thru and they are whipped. I think they have a little idea now of what kind of shape they need to be in.

which is good.

The internet is hooping out badly on me. Or is that whooping. And what about those stupid whoops anyways. They used to develop naturally in the sand. With a nice frequency you could ride. wheely, jump, wheely, jump. I guess the good guys still do that in some man made ones when they need to.

OK no more whining. It is what it is.

Mar 18, 2006
update

Well then. They raced some mx. Last one today. We didn't get the track built at the farm. Economic downturn and not enough work to afford it, basically.

The oldest raced 6 local and 1 provincial race. He did good. Started as a novice for 4 races and won most of that. Moved to junior. I told him he wouldn't get any more trophy's for a while, so he went out and won his first race in Junior (the fast guy crashed hard unfortunately, so my son kind-of got it given to him). Then he rode a provincial and came in 9th overall (really bad starts due to poor jetting on the little 200). He missed some more races due to summer holidays and a recreational crash he had which left him sore for a bit. Then he went out today and came in second overall in Junior at the last local race of the season. He survived and learned a lot (and only scared me a few times). I'm quite proud of him. BTW, this is all in the 450 class on a 200 2 stroke. Gotta love that!

Younger son gave it a go today. I had told him in the spring he couldn't race until he could practice ride at least 15 clean minutes (10 times). He didn't work at it much until a few weeks ago. So finally he proved he could ride a decent pace (for him) for 15-20 minutes a few times. So he went 2-15 minute paid practice sessions yesterday, race day practice today, and two 15 minute motos today in the 125 novice class. He did good. He scared me bad once in the two days, almost looping out over a little double. But he recovered and regained his composure for the last 4 laps of the weekend. He 3 way tied for 2nd in the 125 novice class (riding a 125; imagine that). The way it worked out, he got 4th overall, but 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all got the same points. Anyway, he now knows that he has to up his conditioning big time (which is what I have been telling him all along, of course).

We had fun. The trail riders did good (they had 3 or 4 buddies giving it a go over the summer too), And I'm glad it's over for this summer. Now the teenagers all know what to expect if they decide to go again next season. And they now understand that practicing the fundamentals is key to improvement. You don't need anything fancy for that. Figure eights uphill, downhill, and sidehill covers a lot of skills.

It's really hard watching the kids race. No major crashes this summer for anyone I know, so all is good. And I'm thankful for that.

Just thought I'd update my post. Sorry if it's long. Some of you Dad's know how proud and afraid we are, I think. :yikes:

Mar 18, 2006
My opinion is that the offroad racers have the most skills overall. It seems that mx'ers do well in offroad once they get the hang of it. I really want to get the kids doing some enduro. I am encouraging them to ride in the wet as much as possible. That helps a lot. My kid's trail riding mileage is very high, I'd say, but trail riding is not racing. Racing is a whole different deal. My sons' mx track experience all together at this point is probably still less than 20 hours all together for both of them. The closest track is an hour away. That one just turned up this summer. Before that it was 1 1/2 hours.

My motto's for them have been "you have to learn how to go slow before you can go fast". And "your front wheel is your world-don't let anyone in there". And "it's all about smooth".

Top Bottom