One bike, or more?

One bike for everything, or multiple bikes for different types of riding?

• I ride one bike on all terrain

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • One bike for track, another for trail, etc

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • I have more than two bikes

Votes: 61 33.9%

• Total voters

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
How many of you have one bike that you ride everywhere? How many have one bike for moto, another for trails, another for desert, etc?

I want to upgrade from my KDX. I'm thinking about keeping it for woods riding and getting a MX bike for playing on a track (no racing). But since I only ride once or twice a month, do I really need 2 bikes? (That is a loaded question on this forum. :) ) KDX is paid for but the MX/next bike won't be.

I'm just curious how many people have one bike for all riding, versus focused bikes for particular types of riding.

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
If you can swing it, keep the KDX for woods/trail, then get a MX track bike. I know, its easier said than done, but you'll be glad you did later.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
kx250kev said:
If you can swing it, keep the KDX for woods/trail, then get a MX track bike. I know, its easier said than done, but you'll be glad you did later.

I second that one.....If I lived even remotely close to some desert terrain(6 hours or less) I would have a third bike...big bore for that :nod: .But for now, I have 2 for the woods....one that I ride primarily and my old one that I kept for a spare and to ride in the mud when I don't feel like getting #1 dirty :laugh:

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
One bike or more ?

There are several bikes on the market that work pretty well for both trails (woods type), MX and Desert riding. However, there are hardly any bikes that will be better than your KDX in the woods and on tight, technical trails. Since the KDX is paid for, I'd hang on to it and use it in the tight stuff. Buy the MX bike of your choice and you'll have allot more fun on the track than you would with the KDX.
I have a KTM 300 MXC that I ride in the woods and in the desert and I love it. I also have an 05 YZ 250. Both bikes can be ridden on the track or on the trails for fun, but the YZ is much better on the track and the KTM is much better in the woods and technical stuff. I take both bikes when I go to the desert and alternate which one I ride depending the terrain I have in mind for the ride and the traction. (The YZ is a blast right after a rain when the traction is good. You can hardly keep the front end down).
If you can afford to have both bikes, it's a great solution. the best of both worlds. If not, I'd get rid of the KDX and look for something more "capable" to split time on.
Deznut

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm thinking about KTM's new XC line since they are geared towards the MX + trails that make up GNCC racing...I don't race but it seems like a good compromise bike. I suspect anything would be a better compromise bike than my KDX...but do I have two bikes or one do-all bike? One bike would be cheaper and easier to explain to the wife, but the KDX is paid for...I've got some more thinking to do.

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
Contrary to my out of date profile. I only have one bike, the 2001 CR500. It can do anything. But racing it in the technical desert scrambles races has taught me that power isn't everything. Holding on to a CR500 for 2+ hours takes a lot a energy.

I'll most likely "graduate" to a CR250 or 300XC soon.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
This is a no-brainer: two bikes are better than one. Any net increase in the number of motorcycles is a good thing. Conversely, a net reduction in the number of bikes is equally bad, unless you've got one REALLY good explanation. Note: "wife will divorce me" is NOT a good explanation, while "sold two generic model bikes for one high-dollar limited edition model" is a good reason.

Now as for the wife's approval, try this: "it was either a second dirt bike or a mistress."

Six months from now, when you're no longer sleeping on the couch, you'll both get a laugh out of it. OK, maybe not. ;)

Now, as for the specifics, sell the KDX and buy the KTM off-roader and a new MX'er. Hide the payment books from your wife as if your life depends on it (because it does). :)

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I've had some experience convincing my wife that I need another motorcycle. Here is the solution for all you motorcycle enthusists. Alternate! Thats right, you buy a bike, then she gets to buy something. My wife wanted a deck and new kitchen and new wood floor. I did it all myself to save money, then I bought myself another new bike (The KDX200). Next, we do a Carnival cruise for her in spring. While I'm tanning on the lido deck, I'll be magazine shopping for my next bike. ;) Oh, I left out one little detail that makes this all possible....we don't have any kids, just a mean ass German Shepherd dog that doesn't like anyone near my bikes.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Wow, that's a pretty big "little" detail to leave out! My wife would go buy the bike for me and ride it home if I took her on a cruise, but it's hard to get babysitters for three kids for a week!

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Wanaride, Keep the KDX, it is already paid for so it costs you nothing to keep it. It is a great trail bike but it is not for the track, believe me I have tried, thats why I have 2 bikes. I had the same dilemma back in 2003 and I decided the best bet was just to get the second bike. I could not get enough money for the bike to make it worth while to sell it. It was worth more to me to keep it and have a excellent running and dependable second bike rather than only get a couple thousand for it and then still need to lay down several grand for a new bike. Either way you will have to spend some money on the new bike so just spend a little more. Besides, Trail riding can be pretty rough on a bike as far as bouncing off of rocks and trees and submarining through streams and rivers goes, so keep the trail bike for that discipline and get the MXer to tear up the track. Not to mention if one bike breaks down and is out of commission, at least you wont be, you can always fall back on the other one. So many times I remember missing out on ride because I needed some maintenance on a bike, now I can take the time I need to work on the bike and still not miss much, if any, seat time. You cant go wrong with buying a second bike. Besides 2 bikes are better than one, heck 3 is better than 2! If your in a position to get a second do it. :)

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks for the reply, and I agree with everything you said. Lord willing I'll resume my search for my 2nd bike in the spring once my dislocated shoulder heals (accident had nothing to do with dirtbiking). :aj:

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Wanaride, I just got it a couple of days ago and I have yet to take it out for a ride. All of my previous kawasakis have proven to be great bikes so I am a kawi faithful. I have been waiting for them to come out with the 450 and I am glad they took their time developing it. From everything Ive read the bike is supposed to be great. I just spent some time today oiling the airfilter and greasing the axels, wheel bearings, and rear linkage before I take it out. I hope to take it to the track early next week to break it in as long as the weather cooperates. Ill let you know how it goes but I am excited.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

In my opinion there is no such thing as to many motorcycles...haha. If you can swing it I would keep the KDX and get a motorcross bike as well. But if you only ride once or twice a month, it seems like the bikes would spend more time catching dust in the garage than anything else. It might be worth it to get a comprimise bike like the KTM and have only one bike, but the KDX is paid for so I don't really know what I'd do. I guess if you wanted you could spend the money and mod the KDX but It's always hard to say no to getting a new bike...haha. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Brian1c

Nov 28, 2007
I have 2 just in case I crash one and its laid up for a day or two. Plus each bike has different advantages and sometimes I like the stronger bottom hit of the RM250 over the strong mid pull of the CR250

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I have tossed around the same question for a year, and when I have the funds availabel I will probably buy an xr400 in the summer. I choose the xr because I want a trail bike that I will probably never have to work on, plus with all the crf-x models out now the prices are comming way down.

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
the best bike is the one thats payed for. i personally feel if you cannot buy a bike outright you shouldn't buy it. taking on debt and paying interest on a toy is stupid.

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
I say keep the kDX and pick up a used 2004-07 YZ 250.You say you don't Moto often and you'll find the YZ can be made to suit almost any type of riding you want.These bikes really are dual-sport IMO...

luckymonkey

Dec 9, 2007
Alright, I have a few bikes, but so does my wife. Our last purchase was an imported XR100 from Japan. It is all supermoto with rotors front and rear, lights, and is street legal. My whole deal is get her into it. There is no real trick, if you both enjoy it and think of it as quality time together then there is no harm. The problem with me, I have an XR400 I made my desert racer and bought a new CRF250R to ride a little motocross. I am currently setting up my CRF to be quite a woods contender. Find what you like to ride best and go from there.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I agree with BLACKer, financing a toy is not a good idea...thats why my bikes are old. In the poll, I fall in the "other" category. I have 2 bikes and I only trail ride. I have a 1999 YZ400F set up for trail riding (I understand that doesnt make alot of sense) and a 2001 XR400 that my friends ride. I hardly ever ride the XR, as my friends are always riding it. They are beginners, and I dont trust them on the YZ...and the XR is slow to me. Does anyone else on this site maintain a bike just so their friends can ride? When I think about it, the idea seems ridiculous....on the other hand, who wants to ride alone?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…