One of the dumbest things I've ever seen...

BoneBuster

Apr 22, 2001
Saw a video footage once. A whole bunch of beer drinking idiots gathered around a stream. Quad idiots (no brain bucket or safety gear of course) crossing a stream and trying to see who can make it up a steep slippery bank. Anyway, one guy driving and his buddy was sitting on the front of the quad, crosses the stream and tried to go up the bank, couldn't make it, so the front passenger that was weighing the front down, jumped off to let his fat beer freind give it another try, this time, the quad flipped over on the steep bank, slamming on top of the guy and breaking his back. If I recall correctly, the fat idiot was wearing jeans and suspenders, I guess his safety gear was his suspenders, to keep his pants from falling off his fat bear belly a**.

jester

May 21, 2001
Well I'll agree with you guys about 99%. But, me and several of my riding buddies ride quads (relax, I ride bikes too) and always wear helmets and gear, guess because as kids dad would have kicked our a$$ if we even threw a leg over a bike or quad without the bucket on. At the oregon dunes over Labor Day though I was floored at the number of people on quads wearing shorts with no helmets, beer in hand, mama-san on the back and going way too fast. One of my buddies, who is new to quads, even said, " it's no wonder quad riders have the reputation they do, look at that crap!" Most do fit this stereotype, but not all. I guess they think because a quad won't fall over just sitting there, they can act like boners. My $.02.

jess

Redbird

May 9, 2001
I think part of the problem is that the adults just don't recognize the hazards. It is just like when 3 wheelers got banned. A dad buys his kid a 3 wheeler and he thinks its just like a tricycle. Who can get hurt on a tricycle? What he did not realize is that he put a 10 year old kid on a machine that will run 50 mph and the only instruction he gave was "have fun". I have 2 boys that ride dirt bikes. They are not allowed on them with out proper gear and I ride with them and give them instruction on proper riding technique. (Sometimes they hate that, my oldest says I take the fun out of it) Some people cannot or just wont see the hazards involved with what they are doing. Those are the people who end up on the Darwin Awards.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
alot of the problem is that many quads are sold to hunters, farmers, landscapers, apartment complex workers. They are an efficent form of recreation, hell even the lifeguards where i live ride 'em (w/o helmets, even on the road to and from the kwickie mart and the toun hall yes, on the state maintained road, no plate no helmet). Anyway, lots of people put around on them and feel no need for a helmet. then they go to a riding area, instant dubma##. It is peoply like them who were responsible for the 3-wheeler bad press. I was an avid 3-wheeler, and still own a 250r( i only ride it occasionally, bikes rule), which spanks any quad I come across. Also the bikes quickly weed out the mentaly underdeveloped due to the much higher skill level required. quads will remain the dreggs of our sport, and we must do all we can to teach them, after all, they are the spectacular intermission entertainment at the monster truck shows.

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dhoward
"Hey y'all! Watch this!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoken like an Alabama native.

Amen:p

Oh, quads have harder heads

trailhonda

Oct 22, 2001
oh i know

i saw a guy on a cr 500 go flying about 60 and all he was wearin was a helmet and shorts no pants boots or any thing:)

JeffK

Sep 9, 2001
I was watching TV the other night and saw the Crocodile Hunter - Steve Irwin riding a 4wheeler through some pretty rough terrain in Australia.. w/out a helmet on... you watch him flying through the desert and then OH! He sees a snake and jumps off of the 4wheeler at about 10mph and runs down a hill to where he saw the snake.. ok I know the guy isn't that bright (he wrestles crocodiles) but geez.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…