One year ago..and a riding question

Fred Bates

Aug 17, 2002
Hey Folks,
It was a nice early evening to go for a ride in New Hampshire. I do my riding poking around the Rockingham Trail in Southern New Hampshire. I do have a riding question, but first off wanted to mention these two things.
One, Thanks for such a neat site. I can for granted take all the great information and feed back from so many KDXers over such a wide (the world) area,
Two, On my way home I realized that riding was helping my mind and spirit to be both distracted and engaged in the necessary healing from the ghastly days of a year ago. Though any exercise can pump endorphins, I believe the clarity, gratitude and feeling of hope on the last stretch of woods today would be hard for me to get elsewhere.
My mundane riding question? I enjoy exploring single track trails, yet find that the ATV/Motorcycle trail is often a continuous series of mild (compared to MX) sandy whoopdedos. I weight 270, and though I stand and “post” (to borrow a horse riding term), I feel that my rear suspension is bouncing around too much. Can I adjust it with out the special order tool from Kawasaki? My second question. I end up in 3rd gear, not wanting to out run my abilities to joust with the whoops. The KDX can lug well for a 2 stroke, yet am I better off letting it rev more that I do? I end up jumping between 2rd and 3rd when riding these sandy roller coasters.
Thanks for the site and putting up with my long windedness.
Fred Bates

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Assuming your bike is post 94, you probably want a 5.4kg/mm spring. Check www.racetech.com. You can adjust the preload with a big flat tip screwdriver and hammer.

2nd question: KDX power is pretty marginal for heavier guys in the sand. Can't help ya there.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
At 270 lbs you definately want stiffer springs front and rear.

I ride those railroad beds too and the whoops can get pretty big but if your suspension is setup correctly you should be able to go as fast as you want.

I followed another member jcv220r on those same railroad beds and we were both on KDX's at WOT in 6th gear. His suspension was revalved but mine was mostly stock except for springs.

The correct springs wont help much unless you then set the preload and sag.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The question involved 'special order tools'.

None required to change either the sag of your bike, or completely change the spring.

Loosen the top lock ring using a drift and a hammer. With the bike on a center stand (stack-o-bricks or whatever) turn the whole spring to change the preload.

A squirt from a bottle with some dishwashing soap and water in it will help the slippage some.

Use a pair of gloves to help your grab on the spring.

Don't forget to re-lock the top spanner ring after you're done.

But...at 270, the oem spring (let along the forks!) are not enough.

You're talking about a 220 I presume?

A lot of things can 'tune-up' either kdx displacement. The 220 has a puny carb (33mm) on it. An RB carb mod will help top AND bottom.

All other things being equal, any 2-stroke is going to run better and generally have more spit 'up' in the rev range than 'low'. There's a spot where there is usually a 'hit'...that coming from carburetion working and returning pressure waves from a good pipe 'supercharging' the cylinder.

That 'spot' ain't usually too low.

mac: Ask jcv if he's making those top bar clamps again? Several riders of late have asked about availability...and last I heard, he wasn't doing it anymore. Heck...this is the first mention I've seen of his name in months! I don't recall his website adx..........

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
About the bar clamps.... I PM'ed KeetKDX who said.

--------------------Quote from KeetKDX--------------------------------------
Hey Mac

I don't think he is making nor selling the kdx parts. I know the last time i spoke to him he bought a new ktm. I still do ride sandown once in a while...been going to clough/dunbarton and CT, ME this past year.

Keith
------------------------------------------------»
Keith y2k KDX 220
CHICKEN WRIST RACING
RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST,BRAKE LATE
"TWIST IT"
AMA MEMBER
NETRA MEMBER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe he started making KTM parts. :whiner:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Hi Fred,

You really would benefit from a stiffer set of fork springs and a new shock spring. You'd be shocked, pleasantly so, how much better the bike handles especially in the conditions you've described. Setting the sag etc with the stock set up may improve things but you'll be miles ahead respringing for your weight.

The are a number of mods you can do to your KDX to make it work better for you and boost the performance. Given your situation after addressing the suspension one of the first things I'd do is install either a 12 tooth front sprocket with the stock 47 tooth rear sprocket or a 50 tooth sprocket with the stock 13 tooth front sprocket with a longer chain. It will tighten up the gap between 2nd and 3rd gear and allow you to lug the bike in 3rd gear where you’d normally be revving in 2nd.

No you’re not harming the engine lugging it, not to worry. Lug away.

David

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom