Only got neutral and second!

Feb 23, 2004
I went for a trail ride on the weekend... we stopped about 15 minutes in when we hit the snowline. When I turned around to go back, I couldn't get the bike into first gear. This isn't too unusual for my '99 RM125 (the clutch is on its last legs and the tranny's always been clunky) so i started in second 'cause it was a downhill and carried on back to the truck to meet a riding buddy. On the way down, the bike went into 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 but after I geared back down to 2, i could only get neutral down and 2nd up. I've heard it may just be a clip on the shift linkage that I can get at by removing the clutch, but i'm worried. Anyone got any ideas? Its not exactly a new bike and parts are expensive in Canada (i'm in Vancouver)...if this ends up being a $1500-$2000 problem, i may as well sell the bike!

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
If you have the time and some mechanical ability, start taking it apart until you find something worn out or broken. It could be something simple. 1 possibility would be a bent shifting fork inside the tranny. A seal set and a good set of tools is all you need to do an estamite.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Im guessing a bend bent shifting fork like WaltCMoto said.
Only down side is you have to pull the motor and split the tranny case, which requires some good mechanical skills. I had some tranny problems with my 2000 RM125 this past fall and was able to pull the motor and all the hardware off but when it came to splitting the case I left that up to Yamaha of Troy. 80% of the bill would be having a place keep your bike for a few days to disassemble it and put it all back together. Carrying in just the case will cut down hudge on overall cost. I think the forks are like 40 bucks? While you have it tore down that far you should most definitly have a new rod installed. I think it was around $120 parts and labor to have one pressed onto my crank, either that or Suzuki sells it as a one piece unit for something like $200-$300. The rod and anything that is even partially screwy in there I would replace since getting that far into the motor isnt something you want to do on a regular basis. If you havent cracked a case before I wouldnt start now, maybe ask to watch but you dont want to mess anything up in here or it could be a $1500 bill.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…