tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
well, its that time of year again and after a couple of days of rest i am ready to tell the story.

day one(fri)
trucks started arriving around 7pm. plates said most of the trucks were from oklahoma. bikes and gear were unloaded and before the night was over i had gas gas, kawasaki, honda, and yamaha represented in my garage. (no yellow bikes though) final bike count was 14!. we did manage to leave enough room for BSWIFT and non DRN darrin. they have issues with cats. JUSTQL(+2boys), DWRECK, BIG LOU(all the way down from KC), arrived and unloaded without incident. it was early to bed for me as i remembered last years marathon. several of the above attended Thumps preSX party and had a killer time.

day2(sat)
get up get showered and head to texas stadium for the sx. weather is perfect and i believe our group was second one there to the parking lot tailgate. slowmo/no'mo were the first to claim our spot. wasnt much longer before the DRN folk started rolling in. tony eeds, patman, taraker, twin spar(and son who will be representing the US in an upcoming olympics im sure), evenslower, txbigguy(with the grill and goodies), stan flemmings, xrguy(now on a mean looking kx250), and other drn folks that i can see the face but not the nick. i guess there was 40 or so including wives and friends. it wasnt long before the grill was going and the smacktalking commenced. me and my kid headed off to the pits to hook up with some of my local crew. we roamed the pits and my boy, like every other 12 yr old, was grabbing every free sticker and getting any rider who could write autograph on his jersey. we roam between the lot, practice, and the pits all afternoon. i saw RC go down hard in the last practice. over the bars in the whoops....ouch. he had let reed by to check his lines out and was trying to run him down. a preview to the upcoming entertainment.

THE RACES
heats were good. #259 is just a boy among other boys but he sure is fast. first 250 main saw reed run away. second main had RC biffing on a berm where he went from first to sixth. he ran everybody down anyway. quote of the night after that heat by RC "i dont know what the hell happened over there, but it sure was embarrasing. that wont get it in the main." how right he was.

125 main bubba was the man and was faster than 9/10s of the 250s racing. it was cool to see him win after last yrs debacle. he got the #1 plate too.

THE SX RACE OF THE SEASON
i dont think anybody knows who got 3rd on back. every eye was on the two out front. first it was RC, then it was 22. then it was RC then 22 and that was just the first lap!! this race is what everybody has been waiting for. both got starts and were up front racing each other. as hard as they tried, neither would give up. it was bar to bar for long time. they both rode very clean which was surprising. they both could of taken the other out at any time...but didnt. both were riding at their limit. one would bobble and the other would take advantage......then the other would bobble. seemed like RC had an advantage in the rhythm section before the whoops but reed was faster in the whoops. it was a great race. lap 16 had reed in the lead when rc got out of shape in the whoops but didnt go down. they were both getting sloppy and i noticed rc failed to clear the finish line double clean. it seemed at that point he rode close enough to catch reed if he made a mistake but wasnt going to throw away second trying to catch him. rc finished a couple of bike lengths back. the crowd was into it big time. after last years inspiring ride by mcgrath going from 20th on lap 1 to 3rd, this race topped it. be sure to set your vcr and put in a good tape cause you are going to watch this one over and over.

day 3(sunday)
riding is what it is all about isnt it? DRN was represented heavily at nocona mx where there were some chills and spills but ill let Thump tell his story. another group invaded oklahoma due to muenster being closed over the weekend. we arrived at lake murray to find stan, xrguy, teeds, old maiconut, lorin, and others already ripping up the trails. while its no muenster, lake murray filled in nicely. i was surprised that it wasnt busy. a friend of mine brought up his smoker and we threw bird and cow on it to see what would happen. seems like the DRN crew was on the atkins diet as all we did was eat meat all weekend. we had some younger riders with us and i had a good time riding sweep on their escapades. my favorite memory was following the kids down a whooped out sand road. the tallest on an rm80, followed by an xr100 and my kid on an xr 70. they were hauling. they looked like rabbits bouncing down the trail one right after the other. standing on the pegs, back ends swapping but never letting off the gas. true sand riders. i got to lead several loops with the big boys and i can tell you leading is not all what it is cracked up to be. trying to keep everybody together isnt easy. especially if JUSTQL is breathing down your pipe. i kept up the pace and when we came to an intersection it was just him and me :yeehaw: sorry about the lack of pace management. next time we will put justql in the back and make him pass everybody ;). i hope everybody had fun. nobody got hurt but we did have a part failure on a certain gas gas. no...it wasnt a sparkplug. later in the day some of the nocona crew came over to eat and try murrays offerings. arron and his dad were there. as were eric and his dad. big lou, swift, and dwreck also unloaded to try the trails after the morning of mx. we had a newbie and the sand was not to his likeing but he did have a great attitude and kept at it. i thought i heard him yell something about us trying to kill him. all day long the boys had been begging to go swimming so i relented and followed em on their bikes down to a point. i told them it would be cold but like any kid, they said it wasnt even though their lips were blue. it was late in the day but like anytime we go to murray we are the last to leave. some headed north and some had to do something called "work" on monday. some of us said no to this thing called "work" and made plans for monday.

day 4(monday)
DRN has made plans to ride the famed muenster and its just us and some cows. evenslower, JMD, enduro nut, big lou, swift, stan flemmings, xrguy, lorin, old maiconut and me make up the crew. it is another spectacular morning. reminds me of a summer morning at altitude in colorado. little breezy but cool and sunshine. the trails await. this is the backyard of stan, xrguy, JMD and enduro nut so we let them do the trail guiding. fast guys JMD, enduro nut, lorin and xrguy take off on a loop of 40 miles with a 40 mile an hour average. stan, who is a fast guy, agrees to slow down and lead the rest of us. this is a treat for me because i only go to muenster 3 or 4 times a year and stan knows it like the back of his hand. i get to see lots of trail that i never knew existed. i got some time in the back of the line and we never looked spodely ;) . everybody stayed upright for the most part and we were respectable. on this lap by the trucks we lost bswift, big lou and darrin. it was time for their weekend to come to a close and they headed north. now it was me, evenslower, oldmaiconut with stan still leading. we ride another loop where stan takes us down a gnarly rockstrewn downhill. then he says lets go up it. stan's eldertour group declines and we watch him go up while we debate about how we could do it but didnt want to. :laugh: its one of those kind of things like if i really have to ill do it but not because i want to. stan just wanted to check out his new tires ( see the thread "tale of two tires") after dissappearing into the trees on the uphill we hear him revving and clutching his way to the top. we swing by the river for some scenery and then on to the trucks. there we lose lorin and oldmaiconut as OKC calls their name. its getting to the point where ive been riding for two solid days without crashing my brains out and the "just one more loop syndrome" is messing with me. JMD, enduronut, and xrguy are talking about another loop but me and stan are saying nah. evenslower has the "syndrome" well under control because he is loading his bike so he wont be tempted to ride. we sit around and stan says wanna make a loop? i says just you and me? not these other people who will get me hurt by trying to keep up? so off stan and i go. stan is fast and i do my best to keep up. im kicking myself because i havent bled my forks all day. those cr moto forks with big springs ARE NOT the ticket for woods riding. im bouncing around but am having a good time. stan does a good job leading and i keep him in sight. the "syndrome" happens. i cut short around a tree and a limb at neck level peels me off the bike. i roll down a hill and when i pick up the bike the bars are off 15 degrees. i remount and off we go. back at the truck stan says his mileage from the kdx odometer says 138. my body/butt odometer says the same but in reality i rode probably half that over the weekend. that last loop with stan was really good and the crash wasnt that bad. we say our see ya soons and load up. the four day mission has been a success. thanks to all that came down and participated. wife again gives you guys a big :thumb: . she has made plans to do the "farm" in may. RACING, BBQ, and lots of RIDING makes for a most excellent weekend.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Great report Gene!

PS I left 6 bottles of Mobil 1 15-50 in your garage. If you should come across it, Ill pick it up one of these days if you can hold it for me. :)

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by mx547
yep, good report. almost makes woods riding sound fun. :debil:

Surely you jest sir. :) It still doesn't sound fun to me. :confused:

And Im sorry for calling you Shirley.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Great report Gene, you and the wife are gracious hosts. I can't imagine having a better time. Friday Justql and sons picked me up and away we went to Denton, a quick unload, cramming bikes like sardines in the garage and we were off to bed. Saturday was as close to perfect as I can imagine. Lots and lots of DRN people, unbelievable food prepared by TXBigguy and the races turned out just the way I wanted. Sunday at Nocona and Murray were also a blast, didn't catch Thumps crash but it must have been ugly because he flat out destroyed a Cell and walked away. I was impressed, need to get a pair for myself. The two things that stand out about Murray was the accidental game of high speed chicken that BSwift and I played and BigLou's comment of "I left a prepped track for this?!" One more feeding of Brisket and off to Oklahoma we went. I wish that I could have stayed and ridden Muenster on Monday, but some of us have to work! I think that this is as close to a factory ride that I will ever get. Thanks again for all the hospitality and I look forward to seeing everyone again. Derek

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Looks like Gene covered it very well. The only thing you didn't cover is the reason I've been sore for the past couple of days. Before you guys got to Muenster I had a get off in the woods on our first loop. Apparently I landed on my left shoulder but I never noticed at the time as I was trying to avoid the trees and watching my bike slide down the trail as it passed by me. A certain person on a KDX who was right behind got a good view of it. Oh, and that was a gnarly hillclimb. Very impressive my man Stan.

It was good to see everybody and meet some new folks. Turns out Enduro Nut and I live about 4 or 5 miles from each other and had no idea. I'd like to say I'll be riding with him more now but man he's fast in the trees!!!!

To quote my wife when she found out where Lou is from " You drove to Dallas from Kansas City for this?" To quote Lou, a very matter of fact "yeah". Glad to see everybody made it home OK. Look forward to riding with you folks again.

B

biglou

Left work at 10:30 Friday morning. Already had the truck loaded with the exception of the bike and gas cans. Headed south-southwest to Casa del Swift at precisely 11:57 in the AM. Arrived at the Swift residence at 4:00PM and unloaded the truck into the driveway to wait for Swift to get home from work. Figured I'd field test my new jetting in the back yard and also warm the bike up since I hadn't started it in a couple weeks. She fired on the fourth kick, and I was off to "the back 40", shorts, tennies, and ball cap! After some well-restrained throttle blips, I went back out front, unfolded the chair, and found me a shady spot in the driveway under a tree. Not long after that, Swift arrives home from work, and we begin loading bikes and gear for the trip south and waiting for his buddy Darren. "Darren will be here at 5:30", Brian assures me... FFWD to 645 or so, and we are gassed up and on the road. I realize that there is no way we are going to make Thump's pre-SX party by our target time of 8:00-9:00. So I patch a call through to Casa del Pero to see just how late the festivities are going to run. "We'll be here", I am told. "Cool", I say, and we plod on. After a quick Arby's stop, we arrive at Thump's at 11:45 to find everyone still there and having a great time. We only stayed about an hour, since we had to get to tx246's house to unload bikes and gear. That happened about 1:00AM! Next morning, we were up, standing around the garage laughing about how many bikes were crammed in there. Headed for the stadium and found our spot in the parking lot. The sun was pretty hot. It was 65 when I left KC the day before, and we were pushing 90 in Tejas! Several of us headed into the stadium to find the 250's practicing. Got some great shots from almost directly underneath the riders going over one of the triple jumps. This one in particular lead IMMEDIATELY into a right hander under the tunnel. Zero run-out after this triple. It was amazing and scary looking! We headed back out and Camp Tejas Head Chef, Dave "TxBigguy" was hard at it for many hours on that professional grill of his. Steaks, chops, brats, chicken breast, and gigantic, nuclear-mutated shrimp! No meat-bearing member of the animal kingdom was spared! Incredible eats all around. I'll skip the race stories, everyone has either heard it already or will see it on ESPN2 this weekend (hopefully). Next morning finds the tx246 household blowing right on through the "Let's meet at Denny's at 7:30" deadline! We got up, loaded trucks and trailers and headed for Nocona MX, while others went straight for Lake Murray. Nocona MX is a beautiful, safe facility if I ever saw one. I went out for a couple practice laps, then decided that I should air my tires up. Heading back into the parking area, I give the 426 a twist and she goes squirrelly on me immediately. Ass end comes full right, and I feel the bars hit the right stop. "This is gonna get interesting", I think to myself as I am noticing a very hot blonde sitting on the tailgate of a truck about 20 yds away. After what seemed like 15 seconds of me doing my best Nicky Hayden impersonation, the bike stood back up, heading 90 degrees to the left of where it was pointed before I goosed it... A quick right turn and I'm heading back toward the truck. Under my helmet, in my best PeeWee Herman voice, I say, "I meant to do that! Hahahahha...." A quick check reveals why things had been so loose out on the track and in the parking lot: 7psi front and rear! Yikes! So after "obtaining" some air from Milky's air bubble, I had back out and spend the next few hours just generally spoding it up. I see Thump and JeffD pass me (again) near the end of our stay there, and afterward in the parking lot, Thump comes over and asks, "Did anyone get that on tape?" "Get what?" I ask. "My crash!", he says. He seems a little shaken, but mostly happy about coming out of the incident relatively unscathed. After a little smack talk, he says, "I think I broke my knee brace". Closer inspection reveals that indeed, the left brace is broken in three places. Amazing! TxBigguy pipes up with the quote of the millennium: "Well, you finally broke something of Billy's!" With that, we shook hands and said our goodbyes to the non tree-riding crowd and headed north to Murray to join the rest of the group. This really worked out well, as we got to ride with everyone. That was a big plus for me, as I don't get to see the TX crew as often as some of the other groups I travel to ride with. Arriving at Murray, we find the traildales hanging out in the lot, Gene's (tx246) buddy is manning the smoker, with juicy briskets gently sizzling away! We unload yet again, and I head out for some exploratory riding. I find sand! Lots and lots of sand! I also learned that you couldn't give a set of Dunlop739's away down Texas way! The riding was superb. Other than slipping around a bit on the hardpack tires, the trails were great and the open sections were greater! The trails I was led on were easily manageable on the MX bike. They never tightened up for too long, and I think I managed a "no-kills" ride all day at Murray. After several trips out and back to the lot, I decide to rejet the bike yet again. A few minutes later, Grady (the artist formerly known as "xrguy") has the younger Mr. Flemmings hand me a cold beer, and I grab a slab of brisket, and all is right with the world. We spend the next couple hours bench racing and slowly (and I mean slowly!) loading up. After a relatively early arrival back at the tx246 base camp, we settled in for our last night. The next morning finds us loading up for the final ride of the weekend-Muenster. We arrive, pay and get unloaded. Soon after, Stan, Grady, JMD, Maico Nut, Evenslower and the rest of us hook up near the top. We break into two groups, with Stan leading the semi-beginner's group. There are some awesome trails at Muenster, some small climbs, some open sand whoop runs, and even some cow pies to dodge! :scream: I am soon paying the price once again for riding hardpack MX tires in the soft sand, however. I lost count of how many times the front end tried to slide away from me over the top of a berm. At least I learned to start expecting it. Didn't make things any easier, but at least I knew it was coming! After one particularly short, nasty climb, several of us were waiting on the other side of a small creek crossing for Darren and Swift to come across. Darren was our serious noob and I figured that little hill would give him some trouble. He had also stated that he was getting tired from the weekend's non-stop activities. Darren shows up and parks to my left, and as we are discussing his disdain for that climb, I hear Swift's 450 heading our way. Now, being the trusting soul that I am, I didn't feel the need to turn and look behind me to make sure Swift wouldn't hit me or anything. That's when it happened: "WHACK!!!" I feel a sharp pain in my elbow as Swift take the cheap shot (;) ) and formally initiates me into the Heartland Spodes! ('bout time, man! :thumb: ).
After a quick trip back to the trucks for some water, we head out for one last loop, and then call it a day. Stan takes the 426 for a spin, and as he's helping Swift load it onto the trailer, he says, "What's that?" Turns out Stan rode her so hard, he blew the stuffing outta the silencer! ;) What followed was about 7.5 hours total of mind-numbing road tripping back to the Swift farm, and then my own house in South KC, punctuated only with one trailer tire blowout about 30 miles from Swift's house. Other than that, it was a long, boring drive with not much to do except relive the weekend through bench racing, and think about the impending reality that was sure to rear it's ugly head first thing in the morning as we had to turn back into semi-responsible adults and get back into the swing of work and regular life-for a few days anyway!

I just want to say thanks to everyone for having us, especially tx246 for putting everyone up again. You and your family deserve a huge "Thank You" once again. Thanks to David and Sarah for the pre-party, even though we were late (blame Darren for that one!). Also, great to see everyone again-I hasten to mention names, because I don't want to forget anyone, but rest assured, I remember you all! I just don't want to try to get all the names down from memory! (gettin' old, yanno!)
See you all next year, if not before! :thumb:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
It was a good weekend fo sho! It was good seeing all the faces I had not seen in a while.

Y'all come back now, ya hear?

-jeffd

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Well, Gene nailed it in his report.  You may have heard that Texan's always talk about everything being bigger in Texas, well, this past weekend was a BIG time.  Great people, great hospitality, great food, great racing, and great riding.  :thumb: :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Great reports, and it was great to see everyone.

Tony

Top Bottom