OTG goggles, how well do they work?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm a glasses/contacts wearer and I'm interested in trying OTG goggles to avoid changing into my contacts when I get to the riding area.

How well do OTG goggles work? Should I forego them and just get one of those prescription goggle inserts?

If they work well, does anyone have a recommendation for a good OTG goggle?

Thanks!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've used the Smith OTG and Scott 83 OTG with great results. I like the feel of the Scott the best. The biggest issue is getting your glasses to sit stil on your face when you start to sweat, but once you get that sorted it works out pretty well.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use the Scott Model 87 goggles. They are deep enough for my larger glasses and don't press them into my face. The only problem with goggles and glasses is that the glasses fog up when you come to a stop. It's usually only a problem when it is cooler out and I'm sweating but it's still a hassle. I thought about the prescription lens goggles but I want to be able to see when I remove them so I suck it up and put up with the fogging.

There are various tricks to help the fogging but getting airflow into the goggle is the best method. Tearing out the foam over the vents of drilling small holes in the lens works well. I like the holes so I can just switch lenses when it gets dry and dusty to keep the dust out.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I have Smith Turbo goggles, they have a 2 speed fan built in. My glasses still fog up some when I stop but they work pretty well in the slow stuff, usually if my glasses start to fog I just turn them on to high and they clear up. The batteries seem to last forever, I've never had the batteries go dead but I change them every couple months just to be safe.

I also use Quick-Straps on my goggles, you can put them on / take 'em off, with one hand while riding.

Previously I used Scott 87's. They did not fit over my glasses well at all and put pressure on the bridge of my nose, I could barely breath through my nose at all

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I use the Scott 87 OTG goggles and love them. I've got fairly small frames on my Oakley glasses, so they don't seem to get in the way at all. I'm planning on switching over to QuickStraps on these goggles soon. I use the OTG goggles with the TurboFlow lenses. They have small holes in them which allow some air to pass through as well. It's a good combo for me so far.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I switched to contacts which are fine for driving and riding but, I can't read a darn thing with them in. I use Scott High voltage II googles and love them. It just is easier for me to use the contacts. IMHO

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
I've been using Scott 87's for 20 years. Recently they came out with a OTG version of the no-sweat goggle. I've been very happy with mine. All my OTG goggles have fogged.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I've used the Scott's for a couple years, they work okay. Don't usually have problems with the glasses fogging, but the goggles will sure steam up quick in humid weather. Make sure that you try them on with your helmet. Different lids have varying cutout sizes for the goggles, and if it is too small the goggles get pushed into the bridge of your nose cutting off breathing.

Personally I've stopped wearing glasses riding, and remember to have my contacts in when I ride. Contacts are at their best in outdoor natural lighting. Sometimes I've had problems with the glasses jiggling around on rocks and such. More of an irritation than anything, but when it messes with your vision and your 2" from trees in 3rd gear, that's kind of important.

vic580

May 9, 2002
Pro vue all the way,I have been using them for 10 years snowmobiling and riding.As a lifelong glasses wearer I will never go back to wearing my glasses in my goggles.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
That's interesting...a face shield over the goggles? I'm guessing that you wouldn't even need goggles...just put on your glasses, drop the face shield and take off?

I wish I would've known about this before I bought my HJC CLX-4 Vapor helmet, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. Thanks guys! :cool:

vic580

May 9, 2002
I have tried the face shield on snowmobiles and street bikes and had problems with fogging and they are not anywhere near as physical as dirt bikes. :ride:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I wouldn't think the face shield would do very good keeping dust out of your eyes, like goggles do

Top Bottom