TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Hi all, I've got a pretty big problem with my '89 Kdx200.

First a little backround. I recently rebuilt the top end (about 2 weeks ago), and broke it in properly. I know my jetting is correct for the conditions.

Somehow I lost all my coolant on a long street ride. I didn't notice it comming out of any of the hoses, and I don't think I burned it off. So I'm guessing that it's in the crankcase. Not wanting to leave it at the side of the road (bad part of town), I limped home on the side roads. The motor got way to hot, and was running very poorly.

If I gave it gas...it would rev slowly and produce very little power. The idle was higher than normal. I was able to leave it in 5th and not even touch the throttle, and still keep a good balance-able pace.

Did I kill my new top end? If I did, what about my cylinder? If the coolant did find it's way into the crankcase..is the clutch going to be ok? I know that I'll atleast have to put new seals in the waterpump. Thanks.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
What color is your tranny oil ?? IF it's milky white / grey, then the water went there , if not, it boiled or leaked out. Why would you replace the water pump seals [unless the oil is milky] as they're not connected in any way to the top end ? It's more likely that the head gasket didn't seal. Running hot probably ruined the rings, which are easily replaced.

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
Even if you boiled it off the very nature of the 2 stroke motor brings that moisture into the base of the motor. This moisture could over time work on the bearings in the crank. Did you check all your hose ends? They could have a small split leaking out coolant. If it got that hot to run like it did I would definately check the head and cylinder out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom