Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Sent to me via e-mail earlier and on RacerX.... Bad stuff.

Here is the story according to Annapolis Paper:

Famed stunt rider injured in single-car crash
By ERIC COLLINS, Staff Writer

A local daredevil known worldwide for his breathtaking motorcycle stunts was seriously injured early this morning when his Corvette crashed into a tree in Davidsonville.

Travis Alan Pastrana, 19, of Davidsonville was flown by helicopter to the Prince George's Hospital Center Trauma Unit, where he was in serious but stable condition, county police said. His passenger, Matthew Scott Bigos, 20, of Merritt Island, Fla., suffered a possible spinal injury and was taken to the Shock-Trauma Center at University Hospital in Baltimore, where he was also listed in serious but stable condition, police said. According to police, Mr. Pastrana was driving a black 2003 Chevrolet Corvette on Rossback Road about 12:30 a.m. when the vehicle went airborne after cresting a rise in the road near Overlook Glen. When it came down, the Corvette ran off the right side of the road, police said. Mr. Pastrana apparently then steered sharply to the left, causing the Corvette to spin while crossing the road. The Corvette then went onto a steep embankment and struck a large oak tree. The force of the collision flipped the Corvette, threw Mr. Pastrana from the vehicle and blew apart the engine, police said. The car landed upside down in the middle of Rossback Road, about 300 feet from where the driver lost control. Police were unsure how fast Mr. Pastrana was driving at the time of the crash. "It hit so hard that the motor was thrown out of it," said Lt. Keith Williams, commander of the Traffic Safety Section. "You can't even tell what kind of car it is. It is just completely destroyed." Mr. Bigos was rescued by county firefighters after the crash, police said. Police were still investigating the crash this morning. It was unclear where the pair were headed. Police didn't believe alcohol contributed to the crash. Mr. Pastrana's family couldn't be reached for comment.

The motocross champion is no stranger to injury. Since he first got a motorcycle at age 4, the man has suffered 20-some broken bones, undergone numerous surgeries and given his parents, Robert and Debbie, plenty to worry about. His father reportedly thought he died after watching one particularly high-flying stunt go wrong in Arizona in 1998. The teen lost consciousness after landing and his spine separated from his pelvic bone, forcing him into a wheelchair for more than a month after the incident. Mr. Pastrana has been taking a break this spring to recuperate from the wear and tear on his body. In a recent letter to his fans printed online in MotoCross Action, Mr. Pastrana said his knee is very painful. He said normal competition now leaves him barely able to walk for the following 24 hours. "Well, the plan for this summer is still up in the air. I want to race anything and everything in an attempt to open some doors for myself in sports that require skill but less pounding on my body," he wrote. Mr. Pastrana gained national attention at the 1999 X-Games in San Francisco after riding his bike off a pier into the San Francisco Bay to celebrate his win in a freestyle competition. Once dubbed "the ultimate showman," Mr. Pastrana has a vast fan following, his own action figure, a DVD of highlights, a Bobble Head doll and has appeared on everything from "The Tonight Show" to "Real TV

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Damnit. Travis was talented on a dirtbike, but there's virtually no crossover to autocross or driving. Hell, I can drive my vette a lot better than I can ride an MX bike. ;) Jeff Ward and RJ pulled off the crossover, but Pastrana's OOC style does not and did not lend itself toward an activity that would require smooth moves.

He's had a lot of bad luck. Now he's had some great luck, obviously---he shouldn't be alive after that deal.

12:30 am? Oh, I suppose I did it, too at that age... :(

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
:| Not that it really makes a difference but I hope it was some sort of accident and not caused by screwing around.

I wish them both the best of luck. Hopefully both fully recover and learn from this.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
I'm sorry, but to throw an engine from a car, and flip it by hi tting a tree, he had to be going REALLY fast, let alone to make a 3000+ Ib. car become air borne. I'm sure it was because of recklessness.my brothers 18, and he doesnt' drive around at 12:30, he waits till 2 to hit the road.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
TP tested a World Rally Championship car a few months ago, and apparently has some potential as a serious race car driver. His PR skills alone would get him a ride in most high-level auto racing series.

If he survives, that is. :silly: I'm going to stop bitching about my bad luck now.

Last edited:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I realy feel bad for him, He is an amazing ridder/racer. . .but hes just allways hurt. I think the best thing for him to do after this is just take like a 2 year brake from ridding. . .get into gocart raceing or something like that. . .then race bikes again, that is if he physically can.

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
Is this what they call irony?

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/interview/article/0,13190,343971,00.html

About halfway down the page:

"Pastrana: Well, I've heard a lot of rumors—I wish! I got a very nice contract, and I couldn't be happier. I'm making money doing what I love to do, and you can't beat that. I will say that Windham is the top-paid athlete on Team Suzuki, so that should give you an idea. I've heard people saying that I got a contract for $2,000,000 per year, but I regret to report that that is false. Speaking of rumors, have you heard the one that I was killed in a car accident? You're lucky to be talking to me right now!"

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Johnrock, as much as I wish that this were a rumor, I dont think it is. If you look at the title on that story, you will see if was written in january of 2001, so I think its a little outdated.
I think Pastrana was probably speeding and having some fun in a corvette. If I had a 2003 corvette at 12:30 am, when no one is around, out on a country road, I'd probably being going pretty fast too. Especially if there were a crest in road to go a little airborn, its all in good fun though, but unfortunately speed hurts. If this story is true, I hope that he has a quick recovery with no ill after effects. I really wanna see him back at racing too, it'd be cool to have pastrana mixing it up with RC.

Johnrock

Jul 27, 1999
Beaverton, OR
Yeah, Glitch, I'm aware of the dates/times, that's why I think it's more than a little ironic that he was joking about this back in 2001 and yesterday that "rumor" almost became reality.

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
I think someone mentioned crossover - he was heading into town not racing ala Ward/RJ...

He and Matt Bigos who was one of the BSY (Beach Sport Yamaha) support crew for Yamaha on the East Coast at all the SX and Nationals were heading into town. Matt had left BSY to wrench for Paul Perebijnos a hot young rider - anyhow, the source I heard the story from said a deer stepped out in the road and that Travis swerved to miss it losing control - could be totally wrong about that, but this came from BSY whom I assume talked to Matt Bigos family. Matt suffered two broken vert and at this time has no feelings in his legs. It was rumored that Travis tore off/lost two fingers, but newer reports are stating that he either underwent surgery or is going to in the morning (today actually) to fix his injured hand and he might have a full recovery - let's hope that last report is true and not an internet rumor.

I don't think we should worry so much about how it happened at this point - as hope (and pray) for a recovery for these two "great guys.
Peace.
Mikeee P

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Glitch.....not to mention rally car experience. Enough there to be an accident waiting to happen. Kid's definitely got a black cloud over his head.

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
Yea, it almost makes you wonder if the big guy upstairs is trying to get his attention. Travis seems like a great kid, let's all pray for his and his friends recovery. I'm sure this isn't the end of Travis, he'll come back in one way or another, he just needs to figure out what way that is. (Heck, at 19, I had no clue!)

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
This is a result of too much too early. Someone needs to step in and reel in Travis before he completely self destructs. Presumably his parents should do this although at this juncture I'm not sure they're capable. I'm sick and tired of hearing about wonder boy Travis. Quite frankly, he isn't so wonderful. He can talk a good line and sports a clean haircut; but is he a role model for my kids? I think not. Yea, he's got talent, but no real boundaries. What we're seeing here is not bad luck but a major failure in parenting.

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
Some more info:

Originally posted by _NationWide34_
I got ahold of both of them last night because the passenger was Matt Bigos from BSY so I know him and he said he was going to be alright. Its funny to be talking to this guy all day sunday at the loretta lynns regional and then him getting in a wreck....sucks but im glad hes ok

Originally posted by OCR_ocicide
Things are looking better after surgery today:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A message from Travis' close friend Jim.

We received a call from Travis' close friend Jim, who wanted us to let everyone know that Travis is going to be fine, and will see 100% recovery. He sustained some injuries to his left hand that could have resulted in permanent damage, but after surgery it was determined that it was mostly cut tissue, and he will completely recover. We are waiting for news on the passenger and will post information when it is received. > end

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Luck's got nothing to do with it.

Oh, and see my sig line.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I just wish he would stop getting hurt. He's only 19.......

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Travis is (hopefully not was ) my favorite rider. He's only a couple weeks younger than me, so I have a lot of respect for him because of how much he's accomplished, and he's so much fun to watch. It's awesome seeing him race! I remember when I was at Red Bud a couple years ago, he was out on his 125 during a practice, and he kept attempting to clear LaRocco's Leap. On his last attempt, he pinned it on the straight headed for the jump, lofted the bike WAY in the air, nose pointed to the sky, landed on his rear wheel and slammed the front wheel down. He cleared the jump, but he bent his rim and had to go back to the pits. I have only once seen another 125 rider clear the leap. For me, nobody is more fun to watch. I'm just glad he SURVIVED, and I hope that someday I'll be able to watch him race again.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Travis has always been right at the top of the heap for my whole family, that is one entertaining young lad.
This one's gonna sting for a long time, I'm afraid....he wasn't alone when he crashed this time, opens up a whole 'nother can o' worms.
Maybe our kids can learn from this one, give them that last second "maybe I oughta back off" thought when they - and their friends - need it the most.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I have only once seen another 125 rider clear the leap.

Didn't JBS do it every lap last year, half asleep...while playing cards?

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
A lot of guys did it last year, some 125's even overjumped it.. Apparently they made it 'easier' to clear before the event.

Top Bottom