fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Hmm...it seems like there's somewhat of a double and a triple on the leap. Come to think of it, I can only really remember Pastrana, Stewart and Boniface clearing the triple. Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe it's just because those are the ones that stood out to me. I'll admit defeat in this one if I'm wrong. :worship:

Well, at least the year that I saw Pastrana clear it, he was the only one I saw make it. But also I wasn't watching the leap for the whole day, so I could be wrong there again, too. It's entirely possible. But if they DID shorten the jump to make it easier for the 125ers last year, then he's the only one I witnessed clearing it at that length.

Anyway, I guess my point was that Pastrana always put on a good show. It was very impressive to me to think that he's only 12 days younger than me, and had already accomplished so much. I just couldn't imagine myself trying all that stuff! :scream:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Thanks for the link kmccune;

An Open Letter From Travis Pastrana
06/15/03

In the past month, without a set training schedule and without the excitement of racing, I have been waking up in the middle of the night to go drive my car. I understand now what an idiot I have been, but at the time I didn't see the harm in driving fast on country roads that were desolate for miles on end. Every night I drove the same loop well shy of the speeds the car was capable, driving the speed limit through the few residential areas and never going out of my lane. It seemed impossible to me that I could ever be in a position to hurt someone, but I should have known better and for this I am sorry.

My friends drove to my house late one night (they came in to stay with me for the week leading up to Budds Creek National, which is close to my house). They got me out of bed, and I made the huge mistake of not only deciding to drive, but also asking them if someone wanted to race around with me. It was the biggest mistake of my life, but everyone was so excited to drive around the country roads, it just didn't seem wrong at the time.

It was late but not late enough, as we passed a car about every five miles. On one abnormally long straightaway there is a hill that allows the car to come off the ground if you go fast enough. I was taking it extra cautious in the corners but didn't comprehend that something could go wrong on a straightaway. A deer jumped out of the woods and I panicked, jerking the steering wheel to the oncoming lane and getting the car unstable. Right then I saw car lights coming over the hill. I yanked back into my lane as we crested the rise. The car wasn't in much of a slide, but I had no control to correct the swap, as the tires were not on the ground.

We were in the woods before I knew what had happened, and my friend is still in the hospital because I drove too fast. I never thought it would happen and still can't believe it did, but I have never been more sorry in my entire life. Matt is a good friend and a great person. If you have any beliefs I hope that you will keep him in your prayers.

Everyone told me not to write a statement, but for those who care to know, I want them to know the truth. Matt is a great person, we weren't partying, we don't drink, we were out so late because I enjoyed driving, and nothing more. I have never felt as sad or ashamed at any time in my life as I do right now. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Travis

I'm impressed. Takes alot of guts to write that, especially knowing it can....and almost absolutely positively will... get him in a world of hurt legally and financially.

Very small price to pay for the extermination of at least some impending mind worms IMO.

Well done.

rat

Top Bottom