NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
I've heard that the PC pipe is for mid to top end. My question is will it kill the low end? The whole reason I got the KX is for it's low end grunt while woods riding. I've read that the Gnarly is for low end, but after talking to 3 different people that I know they have all caved in their FMF pipes while trail riding. I beat the crap out of my PC pipe on my old KX125 and it held up great. I read a review of the pipe on the KX in a mag and they said it didn't hurt and may have even helped the low end and was an awesome improvement for the mid and top but curious to those who have done it on here what their results were..........Thanks

D36 RMrider

Feb 24, 2004
Dont get me wrong the kx barks off the bottom but falls off fast it has no top my buddy put a fatty pipe and a vforce reed block on his 03 kx and my stock rm still leaves it id buy a sst pipe and port the motor

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
PC pipe on KX250

NWMyers#5 said:
I've heard that the PC pipe is for mid to top end. My question is will it kill the low end? The whole reason I got the KX is for it's low end grunt while woods riding.

Lets be clear here. A 125 pipe and 250 pipe are different. There is less to smash on a 125 pipe, so they seem to hold up better at times. A thick gauge pipe will resist dents due to rocks hitting it from roost better than the PC "works" or FMF "factory" any day of the week. But, the heavy gauge pipes are rigid to the point that they will displace when smashed on a stump or big rock, where a lighter gauge pipe will crush, but will pretty much hold its general shape with respect to the mounts. So its a toss up here between two types of durability. As for performance, I had an 03kx250, and my 04 is still in the garage (we still have snow and ice on the ground in Alaska) I put the PC pipe on and Vforce reeds, stock cyl. Weak off the bottom, fat mid range, good top. For woods riding (I grew up riding in Northern Cali) the low mid motor is the way to go. I like the stock exhaust. The extra $200 bucks can go to new tires, or a good O-ring chain and sprocket set, new bars, top end set...other necessities that will really make a difference. Unless you are a really fast rider competing for money, a pipe won't make the difference. Just my opinion. I think people who waste money on exhaust and ride on bald tires with worn out chains are missing something. But, if you have the cash, the Gnarley is designed for the woods.

NWMyers#5

Jan 23, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I forgot how much smaller a 125 pipe is. Thanks for clearing that up I didn't put that into my though process. Don't know about the gnarly because I race MX as well as cross countries. It's tough to find a set up that won't comprimise one or the other. I'm not super serious into either of them but do fairly well. My best option I think would be a pipe that helped the entire power band.

Top Bottom