Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I have a 220 with the rev pipe and a 200 with the torque pipe. I dented the rev pipe pretty good on the 220 at my last HS. Pro Circuit only makes one pipe for both bikes. Has anyone had the blessing of using both the PC and the rev pipe on the 220 and used the pc and torque pipe on the 200? If so, how is the power deliveries in comparison? I ask since my pipe in dented I was thinking of trying a PC pipe. Alot of my buds use PC as well but none with a kdx. I am very happy with the power delivery with the fmf on both bikes, just wanting to try something new..while having the rev repaired, and then I will have a spare.
Thanks
Lew

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try this!

www.piperepair.com $40 gets you a like new pipe, and I hear they can fix some real ugly ones!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I can't compare PC & rev, but on my 200 I prefer the PC over the torque pipe. To me the motor seems to pull stronger, and generally I just prefer it. It feels more 2-strokey and that's the way I prefer a bike. With the torque it seemed duller, harder to ride and didn't have that mid-range hit going up a hill. I'm running a FMF muffler with it, almost no airbox lid (it's just there to hold the CDI in place), two exhaust gaskets, Boyesen rad valve.

I found I stalled more (go figure, I can't) with the torque pipe, but that's probably because of my riding style - not quite 4-stroke, but not quite 2-stroke either.

Here in New Zealand, they sell mainly PC pipes with KDX's, but FMF seems to be on more MXers.
Hope that helps some
Michelle

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
cut from another site???

1st off this is all seat of the pants and I have not dyno'ed all systems back to back to back yet, that's coming in the future.

So, first off the fit & finish of the PC is hands down the best of the systems, the FMF looks nice, the PC looks better, the PC fit, the FMF took some work....

-Tests are done on a highly modified 99 KDX 220-

FMF torque - good low end, ok mid, no top, peak is between low & mid rpm range

FMF rev - slightly less low end, strong mid, good top, lots of over rev, peak is a bit flat but very wide

PC - slightly less low end power than rev, very strong mid, strong top end power, slightly less over rev than the FMF rev but peak power feels much higher than the flatter peak of the FMF rev.

All in all the FMF torque is out of the question for a rider above the novice level, for a very slow, non aggressive new rider the torque pipe would be for you. The FMF rev is a good all a round pipe for faster woods riding and racing, the peak power is down a bit so in a all out drag race you may fall back to the guy using the PC that knows how to shift right. The PC is better suited for the aggressive faster rider that doesn't get lazy and knows how to keep the bike in its slightly narrower power band.

After using all 3 systems I feel that the best one for me is the PC, I ride my KDX more like a 125 and very rarely use the low end, I'm looking for mid, top & peak power. I used the FMF rev for quite a while and admire the fact that if you get lazy it will allow that, it will pull itself back from the "lazy" zone with very little to no clutch, it has a nice flat power curve where the PC has a very noticeable sweet spot of rapid acceleration. As for the FMF torque, its not for me, the power is not where I need it to be, its good for tooling around in the pits or down a slow trail but if you want to ride aggressively the option is not there.

For race or trail use above the intermediate level I would suggest the PC.

For race or trail use below the intermediate level I would suggest the FMF rev.

For a new rider or a rider that never gets past 1/2 throttle I would recommend the FMF torque

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Thanks Sage, ironically as I type this I have just left the "site" you quote. Thanks for the info. I believe I will get a PC pipe to try out against my FMF. I am also going to have my FMF repaired so I will have a back up for the next hard get off..
Thanks all for the replies

Lew

PS - Thanks Fred for the tip on the pipe repair shop

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom