smokey12s

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 18, 2002
I am riding a 03 525 EXC with stock springs. I want to change over to the proper springs but I get different answers from different shops.  Are they basing the spring rate on the way it works with their particular valving? I weigh in at 230 lbs and ride mostly single track with a lot of tight trails. The bike seems to knife on sharp turns and does not handle roots very well. Which springs are correct and can I change springs now and then choose a revalve later? PDS 3 or 4,   .46 fork springs?

Thanks

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
 I would say you are boarder line...like me. I have a PDS 3 now. This was fine as I just got back into riding again, now I am looking to change to the PDS 4 & 46, up front I have 44's. The 44's dive too much under heavy braking or slamming turns.  I did have a revalve and was told to try what I have first in spring rates.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Go with the PDS4 and the .46's. They are a proven combo for your weight. Set up the shock preload at 3-5mm. A fork revalve will be needed for plushness with the stiffer springs. The ebay revalve kit works well for $39.

micheajp

Mar 29, 2004
cp380sx said:
Go with the PDS4 and the .46's. They are a proven combo for your weight. Set up the shock preload at 3-5mm. A fork revalve will be needed for plushness with the stiffer springs. The ebay revalve kit works well for $39.
Is there a chart available for viewing to verify this statement "Go with the PDS4 and the .46's They are a proven combo for your weight."? I weigh 235 w\o gear and I was told I should run .44 and a pds4

OCCRA_Racer

Oct 29, 2002
Smokey12s

Buy the .46 springs. You can mix one .42 with a .46 and have an effective .44 set. Then you will have three sets. .42, .44 and .46. That should covder everything you need. I would go with a PDS4 spring for your size.

micheajp

Mar 29, 2004
I run about 70% off road, 30% mx track, I already ordered the .44 set, think I should move to a .46? Pro-action recommended a .48 with a straig rate of 8.4 and Enduro Eng recommended a .44 and PDS 4... I went with the .44 /PDS4 as the pro-action shop here in mpls mostly deals with mx'rs and enduro enginering has more off road/KTM experience. Any thoughts? I don't really want to change springs on a regular basis - BTW I have stock valving.

Last edited:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
.46@6-10mm preload /PDS 4 Youd want to find somebody real familiar with the WPs to work on that for best results, there are little tricks that can make a big difference like a mod on the shocks comp adjuster and a little trick on the forks bottoming cone ramp maybe . MXT would be a good start. Theres experience there that you wont find on Ebay . But if youre a DIY guy dive in . the MXT dual offset triple clamps are really nice too and the help the bike steer way better.

micheajp

Mar 29, 2004
I took the advice of a friend who swears by Pro-Action. Of course he's a MX'er on a CR450 so the tech was perfect for him, just ok for me. I didn't realise until too late all suspension outfits weren't equal.

Not knowing better, I accepted Pro-actions recommendation (pro-action .48/eibach 8.4 straight). When I put it on the bike there was a scraping noise coming from the front. I called the tech and his response was that the .48's were slightly smaller diameter so they might be noisy. THEN I started reading - should have sooner. He will return the parts and install whatever I ask him to, so I ordered the WP parts from enduro engineering. I just want to make sure I won't be out any cash for the parts if the .44 is too small. I don't race but ride very agressively and like to hit a track one in a while.
I usually DIY everything, but had never touched bike suspension before so I wanted a pro.

Deansfastway do you got a link to MXT? Phone #? Any other thoughts on the .46 .vs .44?

Top Bottom