Performance Engineering Clutch Baskets

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I'm thinking about changing my, still stock, clutch basket on my 426 to a Performance Engineering basket. I can get it for $139. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also do you have drill the gear off the stock basket to use with this one and do they provide you with the screws to reattach it?

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
I installed one on a '99 yz 250. All aftermarket baskets that I know of require you to reuse the primary gear. It is hard anodized and is made of the same grade aluminum as a Hinson. Yes, it comes with the screws needed, use red locktite upon installation. One note: on the 2 stroke yz's, installation requires that you press out the kickstart gear (the little gear in the middle) and reinstall in the new basket. It comes with a set srew to keep the basket from turning aroung the gear, but it does not hold good and can allow the basket to rotate around the gear when you kick it. I took it back apart and used a tiny carbite burr to make a spot in the gear that the set screw could grab to. This cured the problem. Be advised that the stock basket is cast around the gear and is not designed to be pressed out. Basically, you destroy the old basket to get the gear. Pressing the gear into the new basket was straight forward. After a few races and a bunch of riding, there is no wear on the basket, it is tougher than stock and the equal of a Hinson. However, the Hinson comes with a new kickstart gear, and greatly simplifies the installation.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…