Personal MP3 Player recommendations?

B

biglou

I want to get a personal MP3 player for running. I've done some research and wanted to get opinions on what anyone else has used and would recommend. Here are the features I am looking for:

• Prefer embeded memory over card, definitely not CD player type-64mb is plenty
  • Arm strap (for running with) or can I just bunjee cord it?!
  • Prefer "standard", lightweight headphones, not earbuds, but this isn't a deal killer
  • Like to keep it at or below $150, if possible
Anyone have any good experiences with a particular brand/model? Bad experiences? Anything else I need to think about before buying? This will be strictly for wearing while doing "roadwork". Maybe, maybe used elsewhere, like at DW, but that will be rare.
Thanks in advance! :thumb:

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Lou I have a Samsung Yepp YP-30SH. It has 128mb which amounts to about 4 hours worth of music, it came with an armstrap, neck strap thingie and a little belt clip. It's about the size of a small pager and for general purpose use it's great. I think I paid around $200 for mine but I see them on ebay now for heaps cheaper. The only thing I don't really like is it burns through batteries pretty quickly. I'd say about 1 AAA battery a week with heavy usage.

B

biglou

I was doing some more searching and came across this: Click

Seems to have everything I want and then some. Regular headphones (I've had ZERO luck keeping earpods in place while running), 128mb embedded memory, a rechargeable NiMH battery and it's "designed by Nike" to be runner/active lifestyle-specific. $129.99 is the going rate.

Whatcha think?

B

biglou

And, the next model down. $89.99 with free supersaver shipping from Amazon: Click

No rechargeable battery, and 64mb of memory. All other specs are the same. I think this is the one I'm going for.

ps-I did research the model you have, Gina. Thanks for the suggestion.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Lou, I too recently went on the hunt for an MP3 player to have for workouts. I ended up going with this model CLICK
Namely because I liked the look of it. It's simple, sleek, compact and lightweight. It comes in your choice of 64, 128 and 256MB plus it's upgradeable. Among other things, it came with an armband and headphones although the headphones it comes with are “earbuds”. I purchased some Kloss headphones for 19.95 because I prefer them to the ones it came with.
The software is super simple, even I could figure it out, and I was able to load a bunch of music in just a few minutes. Even Eddie was impressed.
I shopped all around on the net and walked into Best Buy and Circuit City. Best Buy had the best deal. It was 179.99 for the 256MB and if I remember correctly either 69.99 or 79.99 for the 64MB. All the prices I found on the net were comparable to theirs without the added cost of shipping. Of all the ones I looked at, including the Nike ones, it seemed to be the best bang for your buck. IMO the Nike ones are over priced simply because of the "NIKE" tag.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Lou,
I couldn't get the link to work. Anyway, I bought an RCA - Lyra at Walmart,
Mine has 128 MB internal memory. It was about $95. It is expandadable with a memory card.
Earphones are clip ons. Work pretty good for me. Actually, the sound quality is better than when I use my noise cancelling headphones.
It also came with the armstrap thing, but I never use it. I carry it in my pocket when I run.
Software is simple.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Louis:

Costco has a pretty nice setup on the Rio models...very small like the Nike and I think it had 256mb for 99.99.

Christopher

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Lou cheap is easy. Get Preds but cheeks back where they usually are and sing to yourself. The extra weight will give you a better work out.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Lou, have you bought one yet? Its not exactly what you are looking for but I have an Archos Jukebox Studio 10 that i would sell real cheap. I cant find it on there website anymore but its just about like this one http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500214.html but it only has a 10gb HD instead of 20. i think it would probably work OK for running, and I would sell it to you for $100, and even include all the songs on it (its almost full)

B

biglou

I ordered the 64meg Nike-Philips one already Dave. Sorry. But, I do like the one I got! Works perfectly for what I wanted.

10gig?! Holy cow!

Top Bottom