2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Hey all,

I am recently back into SLR with a new Sony A300. It has been at least 20 years since I have shot SLR at all and I certainly didnt know if digital even existed then.

Any way I have been using a iMac for just over a year now mainly to edit digital video (some for pay), I only have minimal photoshop experience on very early versions and now I need/want to get a photo processing software for the mac. So the question is do I get photoshop CS3 or 4 (big bux) with photomatix or Aperture with Photomatix? My concern is if Adobe abandons Mac, what will become of support and updates? My concerns with Aperture is that I have yet to find Apple programs as good as the Mac-ites think they are.

The only moto shots I shoot are of my kids but I really like to shoot landscape.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Adobe will not abandon mac. Pretty much everyone in the industry uses mac's for their photo editing. Aperture and photoshop are very different programs. Adobe Lightroom is similar to Aperture. I used to use photoshop, but these days I'm only using lightroom for photo editing. Makes me think more when I shoot, instead of trying to fix stuff later in photoshop.

PowderJunkie9

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 10, 2008
Photo newb...if you're just concerned about getting shots of your kids riding then cut out the work for yourself and use your video editing skills...get something like a helmet camcorder they can attach to their helmet...i know VholdR makes one for like $299 which is awesome quality...plus if your familiar with macs, then you know how they are compatible with just about anything digital...you can also take stills from video which would probably be more realistic and give a better effect..just my opinion...hope that helps

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
On the video end of it Im OK, and Im also starting to use helmet cam for capturing the kids. The info I look for is in regards to handling photos to make them look how I would like and I have no experience with either lightroom or aperture. I know the Sony is not tops for DSLR but it is already a marked improvement over the point & shoot even with the crapy kit lens glass, and it fills the bill for something that my wife can still point and shoot. I think first on the purchase list is a Tamron 17-50 2.8, then something longer.

Ill have to look more into lightroom, is that stand alone or does it need to pair with photoshop? One of the reasons I am looking at photomatix is for tone control and to play with HDR merging.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I have a Oregon Scientific but found mounting it difficult, couldnt get it stable enough. Now I am using this one

FlyCamOne2

Its very small and light. I mount it by velcro under my visor and it is light enough so it dosent shake any more than my helmet. I want to mount a remote shutter switch so I can easily switch the video off and on on the fly.

Top Bottom