Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In January of this year, while I was waiting for my D200 to finally ship I bought a Nikon D70S so I could take pics at the Indy Dealer Show. This was a couple of weeks before Indy this year and I realized I needed a good flash unit if I was going to overcome the lighting problems I've run into in the past at trade shows. SOOOO I got a real flash unit a couple of days before the event. Bad timing is my middle name.

Trying to shoot good pictures in the weird lighting of a Trade Show while trying to learn a new camera and a complicated (but incredibly good) flash system is interesting to say the least. NEEDLESS to say, the pictures I did get leave a LOT to be desired. :bang:

I usually post some of my pics and Eric's pics from the show but I was sort of disappointed that with great gear I didn't take equally great pictures, so I hesitated to post. I eventually just parked the pics on my hard disk and went on with the task of learning how to shoot effectively with a serious flash unit. I never really worked with flash in the past so it's been a long but fun filled journey.

Now that we have a photo forum I figured seeing the some of the shot brackets might help someone else, so I figured I would make a gallery and post them in their unaltered state. I only deleted a couple of the really awful shots, the rest are semi-good and bad side by side with no help from Photoshop. :whoa:

The pics came out of the camera in RAW, and then were batch converted to JPEG with no changes other than a global setting of normal sharpening.

They were shot with a 6.1mp Nikon D70S (A FABULOUS camera for the price), using a Nikkor f3.5-4.5/18-70mm lens lens and a Nikon SB800 flash unit mounted on the hotshoe. Mounting the flash on the hotshoe was probably the first, but not my last mistake. :) ISO was set at 200 (lowest) and aperture priority. All shots were handheld.

These are the 800 pixel wide shots with moderate/high compression :
http://www.four-stroke.com/images/Indy_06/

If you have a BIG monitor and a fast connections these are 1280 wide and have a lot less compression:
http://www.four-stroke.com/images/Indy_06_big/

Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes, I know I sure did. :whoa:

I'm going take what I've learned and get some unreal shots at the next Indy Show. Count on it. ;)

Last edited:

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
Trade show flash is HARD to do. You are usually messing with at least three different kinds of light. The shots you got were pretty good. I especially like the ones at the end.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Too bad the light was so harsh and unflattering on the model shots :( I picked up a LightSphere Cloud diffuser and a long sync cord so that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rickyd said:
Nice shots of the Whizzers :nod:

The Whizzers were a highlight for me. :)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
So...excuse my ignorance...Is there special moto undergarments or something??
You race faster, ride cleaner, no crashes, no mistakes, when donning undies like those displayed at the trade show, right??

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
olderndirtmom said:
You race faster, ride cleaner, no crashes, no mistakes, when donning undies like those displayed at the trade show, right??

No, but I think those clothes would at least get you someone to wash the bike and adjust the chain if desired. :)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
I see what you are saying... It's the advanced engineering.... self-ratcheting winches to control senescent yaw and photoshop effect lenses to create 47:30 (or desired) aspect ratio.

Gear.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
No Photoshop effects needed, that's just good engineering in all it's splendor. ;)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
No Photoshop effects needed, that's just good engineering in all it's splendor. ;)

dang. I knew it seemed too good to be of any use to me.... :| I think I'll work on the backflip on the cycle.... That's closer to my reach at this point in time. :rotfl:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
olderndirtmom said:
That's closer to my reach at this point in time.

It's probably closer to my reach as well. :whoa:

Top Bottom