will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
burning question....if you go to the thread called "will, here's your keepers" and scroll down to the shot of ryan verymoto, it's like BAM! the colors are awesom.

so then, look at where emile posts the exif data. the thumbnail really looks much less vibrant.

how did he do that???

is it just amping the saturation in photoshop?

wp.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
IMHO ....
First, the thumbnail is likely compressed big time and thus the losses.
Second, perfect focus. Third, shooting in that light tends to make color saturate, harsh sun gives a ton of contrast, versus cloudy/overcast's color. DOF is great and nothing distracting in the background also makes it pop.

Fourth, he's damn good. And yes, there likely some PS sharpening, levels, curves, etc.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
will pattison said:
burning question....if you go to the thread called "will, here's your keepers" and scroll down to the shot of ryan verymoto, it's like BAM! the colors are awesom.

so then, look at where emile posts the exif data. the thumbnail really looks much less vibrant.

how did he do that???

is it just amping the saturation in photoshop?

wp.

Thanks Will, glad you liked the photo. You can view a whole whack more here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v373/squid31/Red Bud 2006/

The thumbnail is a pretty good indication of what the photo looked like straight out of the camera. I have a few tricks that I do, like mess with the levels, curves, saturation, sharpening, and my secret weapon, the selective color tool. This lets you mess with certain colors without changing others. I also have an action called "Digital Velvia" that works wonders.
Original,
901G5275-org.jpg

Edited,
901G5275.jpg

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
SELECTIVE COLOR!!! yeah, baby, THAT is what i must have. i'm guessing, though, that i have to get ps because ps elements doesn't seem to have it.

is digitial velvia a plug in for ps or a stand alone?

thanks a LOT for the info. as a beginner, i'm struggling to learn how much comes out of the camera and how much is digital darkroom.

and, btw.....yo shizzle rocks, my nizzle! pro level moto-foto, for sure.

wp.

B

biglou

Anyone care to tell which buttons to mash, and in which order, for this selective color thing? Yeah, I know all the info's out there, I just need time to discover it all on my own...

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Selective color in photoshop is under Image/Adjustments/selective color. Is that what you needed Biglou?

B

biglou

lol, it could be that easy, I guess. I've just never noticed it before. I'll have to check when I get home. Thanks!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Just remember not to get too heavy-handed with Photoshop stuff the first time you try it. It's fairly easy to get carried away with PS stuff.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I gave it a quick tweaking Lou (hope you don't mind). I used the Selective Color and then upped the Saturation of the greens a little bit. Play around with it and have some fun! The digital velvia would have done a better job of it, but it's just a quick tweak.

Attachments

• lou villy2.jpg
    lou villy2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 118
B

biglou

I may get to play with this more later, but for now, here's 2 minutes worth of work... Before and after. I think I overdid it on the selective thing, lol!

Top Bottom