Streeeetch

Jun 14, 2010
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
im 6'2-6'3 and weigh about 150-160pounds

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
i'd say im 50/50

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
i plan to hit jumps and ride in fields and woods

4) Do you have any riding experience?
dirt biked 3-4 times on friends dirt bike which was a 70 cc and i want more power
5) Do you think you will race ?
not at all

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
nope

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
suzuki or kawasaki, and 2 stroke would be nice

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
i think they carry all brands.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
up to $2,500

10) Do you live in California?
nope

11) Your age?
i just turned 14, like a month ago

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Thompson, above are the questions I was talking about in your thread.

So..Stretch..you are 6'2" and 14 years old?? Is that a misprint? If not, that is a tough decision. Your inexperience offroad would limit the amount of power you could handle safely. One option might be a Kawasaki KDX200/220 (2 stroke trail bike)...or maybe a Honda XR 250 (4 stroke trail bike) they are both bikes which are reliable and low maintenance. The KDX will have more power and it will be a bit more "peaky" than the XR. The XRs have smooth power which is predictable and easy to control.

Both of you really need to spend some time learning about different bikes and their purpose. Do some searches on this site for words like KDX, XR, TTR.

Another point is to know what you are looking for when you buy a bike. Keep in mind that sellers are not always honest. It would probably be best to take someone with you that knows alot about bikes.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Stretch:

Craigslist is an online classified ads which is a great place to find used items for sale. For something that is reasonable to ship in the mail I go to Ebay. For something that needs to be picked up in person (such as a dirt bike) I go to Craigslist.

At 6'3 inches (and possibly still growing) you really need a full size frame, which has a 38 inch seat height. Most of the beginner bikes that I would normally recommend have a 34 inch seat height which you will find a bit awkward.

What worries me most is the possibility that you won't be doing your own work on the bike. Dirt bikes, by their very nature, suffer a lot of abuse and as a result frequently need to be repaired. A high performance bike is going to need a significant amount of maintenance and if you ignore it then the probability is that it will suffer a catastrophic failure. If you can't preform at least the basic maintenance yourself then you will need to spend a considerable amount of money taking it to the dealer/ repair shop.

A two stroke bike will be a bit more difficult to learn on but if you can avoid getting too frustrated or killing yourself it could turn out to be a great bike. I would recommend starting off on a 125cc, such as a Yamaha YZ-125. You should be able to find one that is only a few years old and in great shape in your price range. Maintenance on a two stroke is easier than on a four stroke, but any 2 stroke you find will be in the "high maintenance" catagory.

A bike that would fit you very well and be suitable for a beginner would be a four stroke Yamaha WR-250, newer than 2002. (older models were two strokes). This bike has a full size frame and has a wide ratio transmission which makes it better for trails. It does have a high performance engine so it has the maintenance issue. You should be able to find a decent one that is five years old or newer in your price range.

If you really need to avoid the maintenance then I would recommend a "trail bike", such as the Yamaha TT-R230 or the Honda CRF230F. These bikes are fairly robust and will run a long time as long as you change the oil frequently.

Rod

Streeeetch

Jun 14, 2010
thanks guys, and no iam 6'2 and a half and im still growing.. and if i fall over or crash while learning its ok. i bmx'ed for a while and now my focus is on dirt biking.. so im gonna look at all the bikes you named and find the best price and quality. thanks alot for your time.

Carter

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Rod

I would respectfully disagree with the 2002+ WR250 suggestion, as we both know that the modern 250 is the highest maintenance bike you can buy. If not for the high maintenance, it would be perfect...this is the reason I recommended the XR250. This guy answered "nope" to the mechanically inclined question...a WR250 would not be a good option. Im not crazy about the 125 2t suggestion, but I think it would be better suited than the WR. However, I do agree with the TTR and CRF suggestions.

Just my $.02

Streeeetch

Jun 14, 2010
well as iam 14. i can pay for repair or my dad is somewhat good with mechanics and he knows his way around a motor. YZ Rider what make and stroke would be the easiest to repair.. and cc?

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
A rebuild for a WR250 could run around $1000-$1800 at a shop, depending on the condition of the engine . My suggestions, the XR and KDX, would require very infrequent rebuilds...that is why I suggested them. A top end rebuild on a KDX can be done by just about anyone...2 strokes are very simple engines. The XR? If you buy one in good condition, you will get bored with it and want something else before it will need a rebuild.

Streeeetch

Jun 14, 2010
alright thanks for all your help iam actually going to the shop in the nearest city by me so ill ask em about the KDX and XR. and im definetly getting a 2 storke because i like the power. but once again. thank you! for your time and suggestions

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
The KDX is the 2 stroke...the XR is a 4 stroke. Without boring you with detail, the short if it is that not very many manufacturers make 2 stroke trial bikes.

Top Bottom