Picking up 06CR250 in spring.........

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Ok so what pipe are you guys running? I'm leaning towards a PC. I had an fmf fatty with a power core silencer on the kx and it was nice with a good mid range kick. Sept issue of dirtrider mag they worked on an 06 cr250 with just some bolt on upgrades. They found the PC pipe their fav for gains in power and delivery. Said it gives the bike alot of snap yet smooth enought to roll it on out of the turns, while the fmf factory setup was smoother again.............I'm looking for more snap. They said the stock muffler really does a good job so I'm not even looking at replacing that. They also say that the stock pipe fits a wide variety of riders and has a very smooth power spread while still being exciting in the low and mid. They also tried the FMF gnarly and sst and were not impressed how it suited this bikes power curve. But which freaking PC pipe did they use, a works or platinum.............or is the plat. just a coated works pipe? They also used a PC lower-comp head and said it made a noticable diff. in detonation with virtually no power loss that they could noticably feel. They say that the boyesen reed cage provides alot of bottom snap so thats the one for me, but both the boyesen & moto tass. immediatly cleaned up low end jetting and boosted power and throttle response. the reed cage upgrade was the best bang for the buck over all the upgrades they claim. Oh both these also lessened detonation.

For jets they used a 430main (420stock), 40 pilot (stock) and a 26-64 needle (26-65 stock) with the air screw at 1 7/8 to 2 turns. They claim this works for 3500 ft to sea level with pump gas on 40:1 mix and will work with up to 50/50 mix on race gas. In my kx I rane ipone at 25:1, what kind of oil do you guys run in this bike and at what mix...........again I don't race, but love to work a bike.

I think my best upgrades initially would be the reed cage, jetting and spring the bike for my weight from a bang for the buck stand point. I can likely do all this out of the $500 in bonus bucks they offer with the bike purchase.

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
My '05 is bone stock, including the jetting. I'm at about 500 feet, with temps usually in the 50-80 degree range. I'm using 50/50 Premium unleaded with VP C12 and Bel Ray MC1 at 50:1. I just did the top end after racing the bike this past season and everything (I mean everything) was within factory spec still. Changed the ring just because it was already apart.

I'd like to get a copy of the Sept Dirt Rider to see the article on bolt ons. I'm really satisfied with my bike, but everyone says such good things about the VForce that I'm considering installing one.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Hybrid said:
But which freaking PC pipe did they use, a works or platinum.............or is the plat. just a coated works pipe?

yeah.

i've always preferred pc pipes on my cr's. my '02 has a dep pipe and silencer but it was on there when i got it so i can't comment on it's performance.

Avena Quaker

Dec 9, 2004
Hybrid said:
And KTM, well the 300ex (?) does interest me, but they are only new here where I live (newfoundland canada), and being that a dealer has just picked up the brand. Therefor there is not much knowledge on the brand locally, which turns me away, not to mention they are a tad bit more pricey..........
You could find some info about this bike on ktmtalk.com if you want.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
PC Pipes: Works and platnum are the same ( platnum is plated ) Platnum 2 is supposed to have more low end. I like the PC works for my CR's.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
pipe shootout

I seem to remeber a pipe comparison in the mags saying the doma was the leader for the 03cr. langston racing was the only way to get one. The stock pipe got great reviews, but I changed mine out for an fmf gnarly/shorty. the bottom is improved, the top falls flat sooner forcing more frequent shifting. I would say the fatty could be a better comprimise to get good bottom without the sacrifice...

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
ive read a pipe shootout somewhere that proclaimed bills was the one to get , when mine gets a few more dents i will be getting a bills for sure. some say its the only one really worth the time

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Hybrid said:
Hey guys new to the forum.
All that being said, will I notice a significant improvement over my 91 KX250 power wise? I'm an engine freak so I need a good engine or one that is well accepting of mods to get it where I want it. Also I plan to install the boyesen reed cage and reeds, re-jet it and probably put a PC pipe on it, and a new head if I find the detonation a real problem. With those things done, will this motor be an 06 competitor. Again, I'm expecting a significant improvement over the 91 KX250 in every category.

I can get a left over 05 KX250 for about 6500 canadian plus tax, but the dealer is less than satisfactory to deal with and there are no bonus bucks with it. But I know the KX250 kicked ass in 05, but again I don't race and ain't no pro.
Plus I'll get some what of a deal on the honda, and $500 in honda bonus bucks, bike price 8k canadian + tax.

Any unbiased feed back you guys with experience with CR's can provide would be good. This is not a brand battle, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Cheers!
I understand the dealer issue well. But I see you are looking to change quite a bit of stuff on a $8000 dollar bike to suit your needs just to get $500 in Bonus bucks. If you can get and LIKE the 05 KX, your money ahead, JMO.
Speaking of the dealer, that IS why I don't ride red. MX547 attempted to change my mind, even called the sales manager. I had a bad experience and won't go back. Not a problem with the brand, just the dealer.

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Hybrid said:
I don't like though how the bike is prone to detonation and the fact that the RC valve makes noise and can be complicated. What are the service intervals for the cables any how? Is this some thing that has to be tended to every couple of rides, or once I adjust them from break in stretch they will be fine? Is the RC valve reliable as the mechanical ones or are the prone to failure?
I live at altitude so I can't help with detonation. But don't let the RC valve scare you. The manual can be a little confusing, but you'll have it down in no time. I've only messed with mine when doing the top end. Seems to stay in spec no problem.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
bikes are 8 grand now :yikes:

redrider8

Aug 9, 2004
I own a 05 CR250. I have had it for about a year now. I also had a 97,01 and a 03. I like the 05 better than all of them. It will ping if you put a FMF SST pipe on it. I tried it and did not like it. I am running a FMF Fatty now and it runs great. I raced this whole season and havent changed rings yet. But I race hare scrambles. 3hours at a time 12 races 36 racing hours and more just riding. All power valve cables still as good as new. The only thing I had problems with was getting the jetting right. It is a little picky but once you hit spot on you will know. I am going to change the rings just prevent but I think it is great bike. just my 2cents

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
But I see you are looking to change quite a bit of stuff on a $8000 dollar bike to suit your needs just to get $500 in Bonus bucks.

Not really alot of stuff, I'd pretty much do it on any bike I would pick up. Reed cage and reeds an re-spring it for my poundage. Then when the pipe got dinged up get some thing worth while. I plan to keep this bike for some years, well up to and over when my 7 month old boy gets his first bike ;)

See the $500.00 in bonus bucks (not that it will determine the sale of the bike.......only on similar priced bikes) but I can get the few parts I need out of this, then buy the gear I need outside of that as I let my other gear go with the KX. I can get a combo gear package (jersey, pants, gloves for about $100USD plus shipping and about $150.00 or so for a mid range helmet (i.e. not $450 freaking USD lol)...............rather than getting my gear with the bike and buy the parts seperate................the wife will be all "oh why do you need to spend the money on them you just bought a new bike "! :blah:

Top Bottom