shane001

Apr 7, 2003
I cant find the manual for my sons 2003 yz 85 and i do not know if turning the mixture screw in richens or leans it.
On his 2003 kx-65 turning in the mixture screw richens it.
On my 2002 yz 250 turning it in richens it, but not sure if that is the same on the 85?????

Thanks for any help

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
An air screw is an air screw is an an air screw. Turning it in will richen the mixture.

shane001

Apr 7, 2003
Found the manual, says turning in the air mixture screw leans it, and backing it out richens it. Could this be a misprint?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by shane001
Could this be a misprint?

Most certainly.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I asked the same question last Sunday, and was told that air screws are different on some carbs. Lemming told me that if the air screw is on the front side of the slide, it works one way, and vice versa if the screw is behind the slide.

I'm just repeating what I was told. Could someone clarify?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Some small four strokes have the mixture adjustment screw at the front side of the carb, but it is a fuel screw, NOT an air screw. In the case of a fuel screw, turning it in results in a leaner mixture.

The YZ 85 has an air screw.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Thanks, Vic. I need to find a manual for the carb. It's an XR70 carb that I bought on Ebay, and I know nothing (obviously) about it.

shane001

Apr 7, 2003
I called the dealer and talked to a mechanic and he said its a fuel screw and thats why the manual says screwing it in will make it leaner. I still dont know who is right.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Shane- Click here for the exploded view of your carb. Take a look at number 17 on the parts list.

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by shane001
Thanks for the info vic, i do apretiate it.

:cool:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Shane, since you found your manual, page 3-14 shows where to set the Air Screw. Page 7-3 states: "Turning in the pilot air screw will make the mixture enrich at low speeds, and turning it out will lean it." hope this helps.
Sounds like we have the same toys.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom