pilot jet install and maier rear fender

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
i was wondering if it is very hard to install the pilot jet on a 98 200. im waiting for my manual to arrive but was curious if its a hard job. does ne1 know where i can get a maier rear fender either in australia or shipped to australia.. any help is much appreciated... thanx all!!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Piece 'o cake.

Remove the float bowl (more easily done with the carb out of the boots). The pilot is in a recessed hole just in front of the main jet. Use a common screwdriver of the correct size to remove/install.

Watch the float hinge pin when you take the bowl off. It is loose enough to fall out if you're not holding it with a finger as you're moving the carb around.

Don't hamfist the jet! It takes only a few inch/pounds (or whatever kinda newton/meter thingys you use) to tighten it.

Do yourself a favor. Replace the bowl screws with allen heads. Carry a ball end wrench in your toolkit. Put neverseize on the threads on install.

Check your float level. Should be 16mm. Making the float mold line parallel to the carb body when the tang just touches the needle pin will do. Actually a tad (1mm) lower will help out on the carb pee problem kdxs have.

Use caution on bowl install. You can bend the floats if you don't exercise reasonable care.

A side note....notice the plug on the bottom of the carb? Nice idea, but you cannot get to the pilot jet thru that access. Main jet, yes. Pilot, no.

Good luck!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
do i need ne gaskets and is the needle hard to change at the same time im still waiting for manual to cum with the parts... thanx all

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No gaskets needed. The bowl has an o-ring seal. Unless you run it thru a blender for some reason...you can take the thing apart dozens of times to no ill effect.

re: needle hard to change.

Nope.

re: at the same time.

Well..yeah.

The needle is taken out with the slide from the top of the carb.

Unscrew the cap, remove the slide. Remove the throttle cable from the needle retainer nut (there is a note regarding this on CDave's site that might save you some cussin').

Remove the needle nut (6mm--I think-- socket required. DO NOT use anything other than the proper sized socket..no pliers, adjustable wrenches etc). There's your needle!

When you put it back together, make sure the tang on the white nylon cable retainer at the end of the throttle cable fits as it should in the slot of the needle nut!

Another piece-o-cake job done!!

Have fun!

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
You don't need a manual. Experience is the best teacher. If you don't force anything, you won't break anything.

The gasket is reusable. Do you want to change the needle that is attached to the floats and control the entry of fuel into the float bowl, or the needle that is in the slide? The needle in the slide can be reached by removing the cap on top of the carb. It simply unscrews. You can figure it out. If you are after teh needle that controls the fuel entry, that is inside the bowl near teh pilot jet. Don't forget to try your library. If you need a crutch, there are general books on bikes and carbs there. There are also several websites that have carb drawings. Try www.buykawasaki.com to start, then do a search for Keihin carbs. And don't forget http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

You don't learn this stuff by reading, you learn by doing.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
i would like to thank every1 4 ur help... it was as canyn would say "a piece of cake" .... so if any1 wants to do it themselves just remember its too easy.... thanx canyn and every1else... time for testing 2morrow YEARRRRRHARRRRR

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…