premeir

Jun 18, 2002
I have a jetting question, can too lean a pilot somehow make a motor lean on the needle? I went next leaner pilot because it was terrible off idle, now the thing sounds all pingy and seems to feel lean in the mid. Seems to be running hotter as well this is an 01cr250. Anyway I'm wondering if a rich pilot can mask a lean needle? Plug readings don't indicate lean, and it still smokes with a little, but not near as much spooge, 32-1. Overall it runs much better, I'm just concerned about the heat mostly. I'm pulling my hair out with this thing, I'd say it's still rich enough every area to smoke a bit much constantly, but it runs so good I don't think it's an oil seal, and I'm not using tranny oil. I hear the 01's were rich, but I'm playing with the jetting as much as I'm riding.I could use some help. Also, can anyone give me an idea how this bike runs with the stock pipe? I did not get that with it, I'm running pro circuit and the thing dosen't seem to have very much bottom. Been a few years since I've ridden, my early 90's kx 250's were like a tractor and my Cr almost feels like a 125 powerband. Thanks for any help.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
The pilot jet only affects idle to 1/4 throttle, than the needle takes over. The vaccuum in the carb changes which shuts off the pilot circuit when engine speeds pick up. A leaner pilot shouldn't affect the needle circuit. What do you mean by your not usuing tranny oil? Do you mean that your not using ATF in the transmission or that you are not usuing gearbox oil?!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 01 cr250 does have a 125 type powerband-i was suprised when i rode one.I think the porting will need to be altered to get more bottom end.

premeir

Jun 18, 2002
Thanks for the reply, sort of what I thought. The powerband and the way this carb reacts to change more than anything is what confused me, compared to my old kx that is. I meant to say I'm not losing any tranny oil. I was thinking crank seal at first because this thing would smoke the pits up when cold, but not really too bad afterwards, just takes a while to clean out, much better with leaner pilot though. I think of all the 01's I see, it looks like every one seems to be in a different state of tune, some seem pretty crisp, some run like there is an entire bottle of oil used on the air filter. I've got a new top end, made sure powervalve is correct, array of jets, I'm thinking of trying a rad valve and maybe different pipe. Anyway, I guess the CR will get me back in shape, it's like riding the ultimate 125.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom