kawikdx08

Apr 2, 2008
Ive got 2 FMF pipes for my 1990 KDX 200, and of course both are used and have dents in them. I have heard many different ways to remove these dents, and all of them have been less than sucessfull in the past. :bang: Does anyone know of a method that works short of cutting the pipe and hammering them out?

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
I watched a kid down the road from me take a couple of dents out of a pipe. He put 5 psi of air pressure in the pipe, then he heated the edges of the dent with a torch. He did it very slowly and carefully. As the pipe got red, the air would push it back into place. He kept working towards the center of the dent until it was back in shape. If I had a dented pipe, that's the way I'd do it.
Joe

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
You could tack a small rod to the center of the dent, and heat the dented area while pulling on the rod, and then cut and grind the rod off when you are done.

kawikdx08

Apr 2, 2008
I tried the tack a rod in the center idea and it worked pretty good. It still had a pretty good sized dent in it though so I went ahead and cut it with a bandsaw. I then hammered the dents out with a body dolly and hammer. Luckily i have access to a good gas mig welder, and i was able to stitch it back together perfectly. I dressed the welds with a angle grinder and a flap disk. I just got ANOTHER pipe from a guy yesterday, and it had the same old dent in the same old place. I think i may try the air idea again on it, as the dent is not nearly as deep. I have tried the air idea before, and even with 25 pounds of air in it the dent didnt even budge. I think that i might need less pressure and more heat.

So, as a preventative measure, how good do most pipe guards work, and which one should i purchase?

ExeterXCSP

Oct 29, 2005
I've done two of my own FMF pipes with air pressure and oxy/acetylene torch. You do need to take precautions like was said earlier. You need to heat the dented areas before you even start so that you burn off the oil inside. You don't want the oil to ignite while under pressure (BANG). You also want to secure whatever plugs and fittings you use very well so they don't fly out and injure yourself or someone else. I know this sounds like a lot but I use 60 psi and heat the entire dent cherry red. The dents just seem to disappear. I use the high pressure so that I don't have to heat the area as long. It seems the longer you heat the area the harder it is to polish the discoloration off. I use Flitz metal polish and a buffer. The pipe looks like new when you're done. Please use care if you use this method and don't take short cuts. It works very well but could be very harmful to your health.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
When fixing a pipe with a dent by molding it into the original shape it also makes it more brittle than before which can lead to a total failure the next time a rock hits it. So buying a cheap pipe guard is advised. I have a good sized dent in my pro circuit pipe but im just going to wait for another rock to total it and buy a whole new pipe.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Duct tape the header pipe end, alot, over the end and wrap around, keep sequencing about 6 times. Fill it up with water, make sure all the air is out. Repeat on the stinger end with more tape. Place in the freezer over night. Worried, start checking after 6 hours. All the pipes I have tried pushes the tape off when it is done. Use the good thick tape.

Mokwepa

Jan 27, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Duct tape the header pipe end, alot, over the end and wrap around, keep sequencing about 6 times. Fill it up with water, make sure all the air is out. Repeat on the stinger end with more tape. Place in the freezer over night. Worried, start checking after 6 hours. All the pipes I have tried pushes the tape off when it is done. Use the good thick tape.

Now that sounds like a good idea, need a big freezer though. Kind of like when you leave a beer in the freezer for too long....how many of us have done that.

Dylan

Top Bottom