Pipe with no packing ?

ASLCM

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2002
My 02 KDX has a PC pipe and silencer , The question is If I take out the packing will this Harm my performance ? I konw the noise level will hit the roof , thats O. K . I have also had the top end punched to 240.

Thanks

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I think the short answer is it will take away power everywhere, and make you not very popular with riding friends or neighbors.

My understanding is that pipes work by creating pressure waves to improve cylinder scavenging. When you alter the back-pressure signal, it messes up a baseline assumption that someone designed the pipe around.

As an aside, I do believe an unsilenced pipe can make more power, but it would be designed from the beginning to run without a silencer - like GP roadracing bikes. However, E. Gorr and others may have a better technical answer - I defer to their depth of experience.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Besides convincing Joe Average that dirtbikes are just as loud and obnoxious as the Sierra Club always said they were, it will kill your low-end power.

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
I'm just wondering why you would want to remove the packing anyway?? Screw the packing just remove your silencer... That will give you the same effect w/ less work....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just remove it?

Hhhmmm...THAT wouldn't be much of a noise issue, 'eh?

Why would anyone consider that as an alternative?

Maybe that was a 'tongue-in-cheek' suggestion?

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I agree with YZJoust, removing or unpacking should have about the same noise and performance effect: loud and none.

Try taking it off first and going for a ride. Bet you you won't unpack it:)

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
ASLCM,

Done it, sounds like sh*t, lots of popping and pingging, power level fell to zero. As for Yz Joust's idea I have had to move my bike once with the silencer off, 30 meters and 6 bc powders later I would say don't try it!!!!

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Heck, why dont you just take off the exhaust right at the head. Yeah, toss that pipe and silencer all together. Thats what I did. It sounds really cool. Sometimes when I hit a puddle the water splashes up there and makes neato popping sounds, that is when I can hear it, because I made the bike so loud that I and anyone that I ride with have to wear earplugs. It also comes in handy when I get seperated from my group. I just rev the bike three times in a row, ya know, like SOS and they can find me.

As if I have to say it, because some doof out there will think I'm serious, I'm purely sarcastic. Dont be irresponsible and ruin it for everyone else. It might be okay with you to cause noise pollution, but stop thinking of only YOU.
Crap like this is one of the reasons why riders in my area have been kicked off local riding areas.

They dont call them "silencers" just for kicks.

Irritatedly B.

ASLCM

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks Everyone ! I get the Point ! I was just wondering what the effect would be . I am gona run to the Garage and Jerk the pipe off Now ! LOL :think:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…