Piston weight vs. counterbalance weight

jasongross

Mar 30, 2004
I'm going from a stock piston to a Weisco prolite piston in my 2000 rm and I was just wondering, (I'm coming from an automotive background) does anyone ever re-balance their crank when they move to a piston that weighs different than the one that was on it?

Thanks!
Jason

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
back in the old days one off the trick things to do was to rebalance the bike.if i remember correctly it was done with the flywheel and really sweetened up the motor. i havent heard of this being done in recent years wonder why?i know they remove the counter balancer on some off the racing 4-strokes and re-balance the motor.do it and let us know what you think.

jasongross

Mar 30, 2004
Yeah, I wish I had the green to be able to balance it but I don't right now. Maybe someday. however, I'm glad I don't have to split the cases so I'm really not that depressed about it. I just know that in automotive type engines the bearings and crank will live a lot longer if it's all balanced, but that's not going to be as much of an issue with our engine's ball bearings, (unless your so far out that you pound the races to death) i've just never heard it mentioned before.

Thanks!
Jason

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Changing to a piston thats a couple of grams lighter wont make any difference. You might feel the bike revs a little faster and maybe a little higher. RPMs does big bores, and I know on rms they would rebalance the crank with the bigger pistons. But now they have new pistons that are as light as stock so they dont need to do it anymore.

jasongross

Mar 30, 2004
Will do just that as soon as the gaskets get here, I'm hoping the forcast for the rest of the week is: Thursday, gaskets. Friday, reassembly likley with a chance of break-in. This weekend, mostly roost both days.

Top Bottom