eli98

Aug 12, 2009
Hi all, new here, but not to dirt biking. I have a 2000 RM 125 that just recieved crank bearings, and what looks to be a new piston. (Bought it as a "bike in a box") During the rebuild, I noticed that the crank drive gear, seemed to wobble very slightly, maybe 10 thou, and tighten the tolerance on the clutch basket ring gear. Didn't think it would be too big an issue, as everything still spun relatively freely. There was however a small amount of resistance. Now that it is running, it has a noticeable whine, which I am sure is coming from the gear tolerance. I know that the lack of oil between the two gears will eventually "alleviate" the whine ;) , but I am curious as to whether the crank will likely fail? I realize all to well that 2 strokes are a self destructing machine, and that failures are neither uncommon, nor un-expected. THere is no noticeable vibration to indicate an out of balance crank. Just the whine. Everything else seems fine.

Could this have been a direct result of the bearing failure and repeated attempts to kick the engine over? Could it be just the gear? (I'm pretty sure it is in the crank)

Top Bottom