Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I've just started to do some grilling using cedar planks. Meats come out tastier that's for sure. :cool: Anyone else grill? I mean really grill like as in consider it a hobby like I do? I'm a newb but I'm learning. I mostly use gas but charcoal is damn good too. Gotta work on my charcoal skillz though. We grill about 3-4 times a week. Which for me means everyday on my weekends. LOL

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I prefer mesquite over cedar and usually just throw real pieces of the tree on the fire and not worry if it's a plank or not.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
You're talking about actually burning the wood like in a smoker. A smoker is on my wish list. :) I'm talking about using planks that you set the food on and allow them to smoke/ smolder. It tastes alot gooder that way. :cool:
I've done chicken and catfish so far. I think I'm gonna do some Salmon this weekend. Searing the meat helps but I'm still working on my searing techniques. :whoa:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 81

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I like to bbq but usually overcook stuff. How long are you cooking the chicken on a plank for? Directly over the fire?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Total time for chicken is about 45 min. I preheated the grill (gas/ 3 burners) with all burners on high. Got the temp up to about 550 and put the pieces of chicken on the grill to sear them. About 5 min on each side and right over the flames. Then I used the wood planks and let the chicken sit on them for about another 20-25 min on indirect heat. I usually leave one burner on and have the planks off to the side. Temp stays around 350-400. I have to admit they came out a shade dry last night. Still tasted good, and it wasn't like we were scrambling to the fridge looking for something to take away the dryness. LOL I want to either buy a new grill with an infrared searer or just see if I can buy a searer by itself. Also, I soaked the planks for about 5hrs before using them. Another trick is to coat them in cooking oil before using. I am going to try that next.

I am still learning but having fun with it. I've done corn on the cob, fresh cut veggies, baked potatoes and even eggplant. I have to admit I've got the vegetable thing down. Even the wife says I'm pretty close to resturaunt quality. :cool: Men and women are similar at times. Cook them a good meal and you can get them to do all kinds of stuff for ya. :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So who washes the plank? If you cook fish on it and then next time chicken does it still taste like chicken or some mutant feathered fish?

Here's a searing trick for ya' Greenie. Cast iron. Throw that sucker on an let it get good and hot then burn away for a couple minutes per side then on to the fire. That's how I do thick steaks and it's awesome.

Something like this should work https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3941

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'll try the cast iron trick. Thanks! We've got a small round one like that one in the link plus a big rectangular one that'll fit on two burners.

I usually scrub the boards with the grill brush and just hose them off in the backyard. The dog loves to eat the flavored grass when I'm done. LOL I just ordered a set of 14 planks on evilbay. I want to have enough for each type of meat/ different rubs and marinades. You can presoak the boards in spices/ wines/ marinades etc... and it'll help bring out the flavors.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Greenie & "Plank"

Attachments

• hug.jpg
    hug.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 77

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Here's the two Red Cedar planks I've been using. The one on the left is completely charred but I still use it to add to the smoke/ smoldering. I only put food on the one on the right. This is how it should stay looking as long as possible. A little charred but not blackened. LOL

Attachments

• IMG00039.jpg
    IMG00039.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 79

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
Greenie & "Plank"
Come on over sometime for some grilling. You'll be hugging "plank" when you're done eating too. :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'll second the cast iron for searing. it just holds the heat better which makes for a more efficient sear.

If it's getting a bit dry. Try searing the meat. then let it rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Then slow cook it on the plank. In my experience if you go directly from sear to plank you carry the searing heat and the meat will tend to dry out a bit.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom