Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
Does any company make a motocross rear fender for a 1998 KDX 220? I looked into Acerbis and also UFO, Couldnt find anything. I already upgraded my front number plate, To drop the light, But now I want to drop the taillight. Would a KX rear fender fit? I want a black one. Also I was going to try to black out all the plastic, But No company I can find makes plastic for a KDX. Do you think if I painted my side pannels black, It would stay on or rub off. Would it look bad?

Then I have one more question, I have an FMF Turbine Core silencer on my bike, How much more top end would an FMF pipe give me? Thanks

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
Yes you can find plastic at dennis kirk, or at meier. You should find a link to them on the Just KDX web site. I used one of their mx fenders. They make them specifically for the KDX. As for painting, there was a discussion about a year ago and what seemed to work well was a black permanent marker. I gues it stains the plastic which will last longer. A lot of guys got excellent results.

Good luck!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
The top end change depends on which pipe you get. If you get an FMF Gnarly woods pipe you will get a nice boost down low but loose about 7-10 mph on top end. I have one and I love the low end, but I miss the high end. I have a Trail Tech speedometer and it was easy to compare the difference on the top end.

The FMF Rev or Gnarly Desert pipe will lose a little low end, but gain top end power and add maybe 7-10 mph on top end. A lot depends on which sprockets you are using, etc. If you don't need a lot more low end power to pull hills, etc. I would get the "Fatty", "Rev", or "Gnarly-Desert" pipe. All of those should pick up the top end a little. The Fatty should add a little power evenly throughout the entire low to high range, while the other two will be very noticable on top end speed.

Regarding painting plastic, I would not do that. I would recommend getting some black background plastic sheets and cut them to cover the plastic. It will probably be a little rough around the edges, but it should stay on well, as long as you clean the plastic with contact cleaner or something that will get oil and residue off. I always wanted a solid black dirt bike with 007 on it!

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
As for the fender on Dennis Kirk made for KDX's I found nothing. I did find some that are universal fit, http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/details/detail.asp?serverid=OffRoad&PartNo=614199 Is that something that will work though? As for the pipe, I am looking to add top end. I curently race hare scrambles in New England, And I have found I have plenty of low end, But I want quicker throttle response. Kinda like, I want my front wheel to pick up easier. So I will probably end up getting a FMF pipe really soon.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
The universal rear fenders tend to be a little more rounded than the traditional MX rear fenders.... I don't really like them. I can't find a MX rear fender for your KDX either... but I bet there's an application from a KX that would fit your KDX that someone on here may know about.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have painted my Side panels with Krylon Fusion, and it still flakes off. The only thing I have done that stick is to boil the parts in rit dye....
I will admit the the krylon fusion has stuck better than the other paints and dyes. Krylon fusion says that there is no need to prep ( i.e. sand... etc) I found this to be wrong and had to sand them down with 400 grit and then spray them. To keep them looking ok I have to do this about every other ride.

I am still looking for a pot big enough to boil the side panels and fenders in rit dye.

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
I wasnt planning on spending 45$ for a fender. Anyone know if could buy a KX one and have it come close to fitting? If I have to I will drill holes and what not. I mean to get my number plate on I had to drill 4 holes and zip tie it lol. And for the FMF pipe, I dont want the Gnarly one, On the dyno charts it seems to take top end away. I would be interested in either a Fatty or a Rev, But once again I cant find any online store that carries them for a KDX 220 :(

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
I was actually thinking about doing that. How much can you bore out a KDX 220? How much will it increase power? Is this FRP place reliable?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
per the krylon fusion...i personally was not happy with it..although it hasn't rubbed off, neither has the side panel i painted with regular krylon. The fusion was almost grey instead of a shiny black i wanted...i just made sure to to adequate prep work before spraying the paint...either way it will have mud covering it in a few hours!!!!

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by Slipknot6
Also I was going to try to black out all the plastic, But No company I can find makes plastic for a KDX. Do you think if I painted my side pannels black, It would stay on or rub off. Would it look bad?

Then I have one more question, I have an FMF Turbine Core silencer on my bike, How much more top end would an FMF pipe give me? Thanks

Slipknot6, Welcome to the world of the "Not as Popular as MX Bikes Dilema".

When I got my KDX I was very much like you. After my purchase I was so happy with it, it hadn't dawned on me that any bike that's not a "Race" bike, is hard to find custom parts for.

That's not to say there aren't some out there.

The problem is plastic is cheap, but the molds aren't. No company is going to sink any money into new molds for a bike that "may" not be around in a few years(2-stroke diehards take it easy here, note the keyword "may", we don't know if the KDX line will be considered "competition" for the '06 ban).

It wouldn't be that expensive for say Acerbis, UFO, or Maier to make some of the parts they already make for the KDX line in other colors, but then we come to the wonderful "law of supply and demand".

So alas my GREEN brother I know of your struggle. The only way to cure it is to jump the fence to the other pasture.

Cause we all know the saying "The grass is GREENER on the other side".

Good Luck :thumb:

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
Alright I emailed Jeff at FRP, and I asked

If I send you my carb to bore out for a 1998 KDX 220, Do I have to get the Cylinder re-plated?

He replyed

no they are 2 completly different things. jeff

So I gues I dont need it replated. I will probably do this and bore it out. Thanks

Slipknot6

Nov 23, 2002
o I dont know that much about the engine, or even how it runs. Im just looking for ways to increase power. I have only been riding for a year, and I have never taken apart my engine, so I dont know much about it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom