kiwi_rider

Oct 18, 2004
I have a 97 ktm 250, the plastics are getting a bit old and ragged.

I cant seem to find replacement plastics of the same year, but can find 98' model plastics which look a fair bit better anyway.

Can anyone tell me if these plastics would fit onto my bike with little or no modification? or if there is any other year plastics that would fit my bike?

Cheers

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Acerbis still make plastics for the 1997 model. I still get em for my old 95'er.......if you cant find in NZ give Bolton motorcycles in Victoria (Australia) a call. But you should have an Acerbis distributor.

kiwi_rider

Oct 18, 2004
Cheers

I had looked on the Acerbis website and there was no listing for 97 plastics kit.

Im thinking the bike would look a whole stack better with 98 plastics anyway..

They look like they will fit, they have mostly the same mounting points and the frame looks the same.

FZRRkid

Jun 27, 2004
1998 front fender is all that fits, 98's were styled diff but used the same fender an 93-97 bikes. just go to you ktm dealer and order new plastics, done deal

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
totally different frame, tank, rear suspension...93-92 is the same. 98 is the "Z" plastic w/ the new linkless rear, much lighter bike, slimmer frame...no go on the retro

kiwi_rider

Oct 18, 2004
so i got a lemon then

So my 97 is a bit of a lemon?, the last model before they switched over?

am i better to sell it while i still can and buy a later model bike....DOH i love this engine, its an ex works bike and its 58.2 hp at the wheel...

It just looks a bit retro for me....
I hate the rear mudguard and side panels , i might try fit some later model ones anyway.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Your KTM dealer should be able to get the standard (Acerbis) plastics that came with the bike. Why is your bike a lemon because of the plastics?? If its a good ride then its a good bike. Your bike is a 93-97 series. They changed after that. I think acerbis make a universal read guard in the post 98 style in grey only that fits the older models. If you want standard style you have to order off KTM. There is nothing wrong with your bike. They were a good model.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
kiwi_rider said:
So my 97 is a bit of a lemon?, the last model before they switched over?

am i better to sell it while i still can and buy a later model bike....DOH i love this engine, its an ex works bike and its 58.2 hp at the wheel...

It just looks a bit retro for me....
I hate the rear mudguard and side panels , i might try fit some later model ones anyway.

uh...other than the lighter weight that came w/ the 98, the suspension was way better on the 97 (Ohlins shock, right-side up 50mm Zokes) and the handling was very predictable. The 98 was the first year for linkless and the bike was very unsettled due to the fist year blues from the new rear suspension...plus everything went to WP as far as the components go. No lemon at all w/ the 97, plus I kind of liked the looks of my 97, very sharp at the time. Get some 97 plastic/graphics and enjoy

kiwi_rider

Oct 18, 2004
Point taken... I suppose it doesnt look to bad, just those plastics on the 98 look a whole better, in the meantime i have slapped a bit of black paint on the side covers , that joins to the mudguard, it has improved the looks heaps.
So the factory plastics are made be Acerbis? I noticed the tank is (and i must mention its huge capacity) I do need to get new graphics also, i have pro's choice graphics atm.

With these zokes, I cant seem to stop em leaking!!, any tips?

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yes standard plastice are made by Acerbis. KTM dealer will be able to get them. Tank is 13 litre (maybe 12) I think. That means you should get 120km out of that easy. Newer models have smaller capacity tank. As a side note Im pretty sure UFO and Polisport also make aftermarket plastics for KTM's. UFO would probably be the better bet cause they've been around longer. CEET also made a nice graphics kit for the 93-97 KTM's. I believe you can still get them. If not then I lied......

Lastly ....Man from Land of the Long White Cloud ....what for you mean when you say you have leaky..."zokes"....?????....

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Okay...Marzocchi's yeah Im with you.....good forks for the bush, dont deflect off the small stuff too easy and more stable than the Upside down units because of that (in my opinion). Leaks??? well they is what they all do......run fork protectors, and rubber covers over the seals (they are like a beer stubby holder...wetsuit material goes over the seal). The forks legs can become pitted from getting bead blasted if not protected that adds to the leaks. You should clean all the crap out from the in and around the seal when you wash it. In the end though just practice up doing fork seals yourself...cause they'll probably just keep getting leaky.....dont stress too much.

Top Bottom