playing the lottery at a convenient store

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
The most annoying thing in the world is when you are in a hurry to buy something at the convenient store and guy in front of you is cashing in lottery tickets and purchasing new ones. Here is what happens.... The person buys 5 scratch off tickets and cashes in old ones, while the clerk is cashing the old ones he is scratching off the new ones, then he cashes in the ones he just won and gets more, over and over and over. Or he has like 50 lotto tickets and the maching takes several minutes to print the tickets. That kind of thing takes about 5 minutes and defeats the purpose of the store being convenient, I HATE THAT, AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! And the worst thing is these people usually get in the most beat up piece of crap cars you would not be caught dead riding in. Can the people with gambling addiction please be more courtious to the people that just want a soda or gas??? Ok, enough venting, I read the pet peeve the other guy had and since I feel the same way, so I thought I would also post my pet peeve. Am I the only one who feels this way about the people holding up the line in convenient stores buying lottery tickets?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ask for the manager. Tell him if these lotto goons do not get in the back of the line for each transaction, then you will be finding another store to do business in. Don't gripe at the clerk, as he doesn't want you to come in anyway...less work for him if you stay home.

I personally don't have a problem with bringing that particular situation to light by asking the goon to get in the back of the line myself.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
We have not had lottery very long in NC. But I have saw people try what your talking about and the clerk tell them they can't scratch in the store. Must go outside and come back in to cash in. I think thats good policy.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Have you ever asked these,'give me a piece individuals' if they walk outside their house with a lightning rod,same odds! Do not get me started on left lane campers or the idiot that thinks they get a higher resale value for their vehicle by not using the friggin turn signal.The lottery,backed by your local government to screw taxpayers out of every last dollar,taking advantage of our desire to get something for basically nothing,sad.Next time I may ask if they put b6es plugs in old race bikes to get another mile!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
that reminds me, I gotta go buy a lottery ticket . . .

My brother, he's one of those with a "system". Mind you, it's not an addiction, per se, but if the Circle Jerk is selling scratch tickets he'll pick up a couple with the soda and candy bar we stop for coming back from riding. He does not scratch them in the store, because that's bad juju. We have to go back out to the rig, and we cannot leave the parking lot until they are scratched. If he scores, he goes back in, and if the score is less than $20 dollar bucks, he trades for more tickets and the process begins again until he loses or he hits 20 or better.

It is annoying, but it has paid for gas on more than one occasion.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
the idiot that thinks they get a higher resale value for their vehicle by not using the friggin turn signal.
NO KIDDING! Problem is they are holding a cell phone with the had needed to reach ALL THE WAY down there to flip them on... or worse yet, they just can't be bothered with letting the rest of us know their intentions, keeps us on our toes.

Lotto .. I MAY have bought $20 worth in my life.

Clamps

Apr 3, 2007
I work at a pretty big gas station/convenience store, and I can't stand that either. I've seen people spend up to 200-600 dollars daily on it. I usually try and hustle and knock down the lines really fast as my store is really busy, but nothing slows me down like the lottery. Griping at the clerk and/or manager is pointless, as they are customers just like you, what's going to stop them from complaining too? They are the best person to complain to, as there is really nothing any of the employees can do. But I'd thought I would share my equal dislike of that kind of behavior from the employee point of view.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
This is exactly why I don't have a lottery machine in my beer distributor. I don't want some jerkoff with 50 different number combinations to play annoying the five customers behind him with a case of beer to buy.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
There is a guy at my work who buys those scrtach-offs all the time.I asked him what was the most you won? He replied $1500.00.Then I asked how much did you spend to make $1500.00? About $2500.00.He gave it a thought for a second and then went back to scratching.His nick-name is Hillbilly.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
RYDMOTO said:
His nick-name is Hillbilly.

Roy - maybe you should change it to Math-Impaired :rotfl:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Jaybird said:
I personally don't have a problem with bringing that particular situation to light by asking the goon to get in the back of the line myself.
Now why doesn't that surprise me? :nener:

I've never bought a lottery ticket. I save my lotto money and buy beer. That way I always win!

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Hey Rich - I would rather scrape a head gasket than a scratch-off any day :laugh:

Now here is an idea: A scratch-off card that says ENGINE REBUILDER!! on it. You can scrape the gasket off a Hemi head.As you work around the head it can say - Leaky gasket-you lose!

And every millionth one could say-YOU HAVE COMPRESSION!! collect yer dollar.

I am on the phone now with Illinois lotto with my idea.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
RYDMOTO said:
I am on the phone now with Illinois lotto with my idea.

... another million dollar idea Roy. :cool:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
RYDMOTO said:
There is a guy at my work who buys those scrtach-offs all the time.I asked him what was the most you won? He replied $1500.00.Then I asked how much did you spend to make $1500.00? About $2500.00.He gave it a thought for a second and then went back to scratching.His nick-name is Hillbilly.

Hey, at least he's aware of how much he spends to get that $1500. A friend of a friend plays the lottery all the time and he thinks he's "lucky" and wins all the time. While he does hit with some regularity, he never considers the $20 (or more) per day he blows to get that "win" every six months or so. He and his wife only tally up the payoffs and never the costs. Not surprisingly, they also filed for bankruptcy not too long ago. I give them five or ten years until they have to do it again. :bang:

If I buy a lottery ticket it is for the Powerball or some other big jackpot. I'll throw a few bucks down the crapper if the prize is a multimillion dollar payoff that would change my life forever. For a $500 prize? Not a chance.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
FruDaddy said:
Lottery = tax on stupid

:nod: Amen to the "stoopid tax".

I am thankful for it though as if it did not exist our state income tax would be double what it is now.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've been in a store when the clerk did the cash in as fast as he could and motioned for the rest of us to go to the other register, he then went to the other register and check out the large group of customers while the slack jawed ticket scratcher couldn't believe she was left hangin' with her change on the counter. She even said "Excuse me I'm not finished." and everyone laughed when the clerk said "Your money is on the counter, you are welcome to get in this line over here, that register is closed."

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
gwcrim said:
I wonder how many lotto players have read this thread and walked away quietly in shame?
Since I'd bet a large percentage are quad riders I wouldn't bank on the reading part.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Better learn to live with it. Senior citizens are the ones that play the lottery the most and you have more than your share in Florida. :)

Top Bottom