Please help me pick an 85cc Motocross bike!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Hi everyone. I am just about 5'6 and a skinny fellow at around 115 lbs and 14 years old, and am getting a new motocross 2-stroke 85cc bike after having soo much fun riding a friends for my 15th birthday! :)

First off, I am coming from a brand new 2003 XR-80, which I will sell to put towards my new bike, so I have plenty of experience with that, as I would say that I rode it pretty darn well. Where I live, there is a nice construction site with alot of dirt roads, and flat rolly hills where we ride, some open flat land farms, occasional trails, and when I get my new MX bike, I plan to ride down to the track 15 minutes from here.

Now, I hear there are major differences between the KXs, CRs, YZs, and RMs. I think I am eliminating the CR right away, because my best friend has one, and he has had TONS and TONS of problems with it. He has went through soo many spark plugs, the bike has had 2 recalls allready, and just so many minor problems. Even he said he strongly regrets his purchase.

So basically, I am asking for anyones input on the YZs, RMs, and KXs, and even CRs despite my little thoughts on them. Differences in lower end, higher end, things like that I am unaware of, reliability, etc things like that or if anyone has any links to discussion or information on these kinds of things, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I hear you have to "redo or rebuild" the topend of the bike about every year? Is this the same thing as jetting it? Excuse my newbieness when it comes to these things, but I dont know much about them 2 strokes! :p - What exactly is needed to be done? Is it easy for me and my father (who is pretty knowledgeble when it comes to tools, engines, and things like that..) to do or would we have to bring it in. If someone could please explain this whole issue since I dont know a thing about it!

Sorry for the rather lengthy post, but I am really looking for info and I found this place which where everyone looks really nice and informative. Any input would be greatly appriciated. Thank you all!

-Tiylu

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by Tommygun
Just a suggestion, but at 14 years old and 5'6", you may want a 125. You will outgrow the 85 in short order.

Thanks for the suggestion, as I have sat on a YZ-125 once, and there is no way I would be able to ride something that big! Not to mention that its $2,000 out of my budget! ;)

I think I will get a good 2 or 3 years out of my 85, and by then I will have a car and a job and may not even have time for this kinda stuff! But if I am still into it, I will probably sell my 85 and get a new one, plus I will be able to afford a wider selection of bikes with a job and all :)

So I would really appriciate if someone could explain to me the differences from the 4 main brand 85cc Motocross bikes, and any input what-so-ever about performance and reliability and opinions.

Also, how is a KX 100? Its pretty reasonably priced at only 100-200$ more than the other 85's that I like, but I have heard that the KX100 has stiffer suspension than the 85, and that its really nothing more than an 85 expert would be compared to an 85, with only a slighly bigger engine displacment. Not to mention that if I plan to race, I would not be able to do so unless I do it in the 125 class (Or as I have heard in the other threads..)

Thank you!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'6" I would also suggest your are too big for an 80. The YZ is very tall if you can take a seat on a KX 125 they seem to be the shortest of the 125's (03 models). At the very least your going to want to look at the CR85Expert, RM85L or the KX/RM100. As for racing most of the big wheel 80's have to ride the supermini class due to a wheel size restriction regardless of the displacement.

speeddemon14

Jul 19, 2003
i also believe at your height that you may want to consider a 125, i understand where you are coming from with the YZ, they are absolutely huge!!! But, at your height, which is near my own, I think a RM or a CR, or a KTM would be right up your alley. All three are fast but if I were you I would look more into the RM. Once again, just a suggestion

danielj

May 27, 2003
So what if hes to big for it. If hes not comfortable with a 125 then dont constantly dog on him. He knows what he wants and he has fun on an 85 so just let him be.

Besides he asked for help looking for a 80/85cc bike. Ok, anyway I personally like the YZ 85, I think it was crowned "80 of the year" either this year or last by MXA. However, all the 85's are actually really good and perform quite similarly and they have no real differences so any bike you choose will no doubt be good.

You mentioned the KX100, I think that would be a good one for you too. I havent had any firsthand experience with it but I have heard some good things about it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by ekorts4
However, all the 85's are actually really good and perform quite similarly and they have no real differences

More MXA wisdom? :think: The KX and RM have powervalves while the CR and YZ do not both options supply a completely different power delivery and suit totally different riding styles other than that no real differences right? :|

The suggestion to look at the 125's or at the very least the big wheel 85's or 100's was a result of his looking at a bike choice that may not be optimum for his size. I could be confused but I always figured someone posting in the What Bike Do I Get forum would be looking for as much feedback on his decision as possible instead of someone just assuring him he is making the right choice even when they feel it is a poor decision.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
What is your riding style? If you are the type of rider who likes to slip the clutch a lot and run the snot out of the engine I'd look at the YZ or CR. Otherwise I'd go with the KX or RM because of the powervalve. The KX/RM will have broad, smooth power delivery and will work well on a track or trail. The CR/YZ are really single purpose bikes (track).

I agree with many of the above posts, before you plop-down your money on a 85, get some seat time on a KX100. Off the top of my head I think that the 85's have a 32 inch seat height and the 125's have a 36 inch height. The KX100 is at 34 inches and is a real good bike.

Good luck and have fun.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I would go for the KX-100 in your position. Your height is just about ideal for it, and its only slightly more in cost when compared to the big wheel RM and CR's which would be your best options in the 85cc range, so now you can get a bigger engine displacment, and minor suspension adjustments. Its just a better option, since while you would probably still have a lot of fun on the 85, you would grow out of it pretty quickly, and the "wow factor" would be gone sooner than you would like.

The only minor disadvantages to the KX-100, is that if you eventually consider racing, its harder to find a specific 100cc 2-stroke class than it is for the 85s, and 100s, yet I'm almost positive you would be able to do so in classes where bored out 85 big wheels race which are bored to 100cc's.

Otherwise, your best option :)

danielj

May 27, 2003
Originally posted by Chili
instead of someone just assuring him he is making the right choice even when they feel it is a poor decision.

I dont think sticking with an 85 is a poor deciscion at all, you can't just start someone coming from an XR 70 on 125 MX bike because there will be some major "crash and learn" happening.

The 85 would be good, the seat height on them is 34" (the YZ at least) which isnt bad for 5'7 and besides that way he could be more competitive and handle is bike much easier during races. The 85 class is actually quite competitive and is like a stepping stone for the 125 class which is very competitive.

I guess I was wrong about the 85's all being similar, I figured them to be just like the 125's (which are all very similar right?). For the record too, I dont read MXA I just had looked at the YZ 2003 lineup booklet.

maureen

Sep 16, 2002
This is my moms acount but I have a KX 85 and its so comfortable. I'm 52.5 inches tall and Im leading the 85 Novice class at Canaan NH. Im about to get a KXF soon. If I were you I would consider a KX 125 its the smallest 125 and smaller then a YZ. Ive had my 85 for 2 years and Im outgrowing it so you should get a 125.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
WOW. Thank you all so very much, I cant thank you enough! :D

I think I am going to go with the Kawasaki KX 100, as I feel a 125 I feel is just too big and too expensive, so maybe in a few years after I am more experienced I will settle on that. Now that I know that the Suzuki RM and Kawasaki KX 85s have powervalves so they would be better in the low end for trail riding. Does the same apply for the KX 100? Just wondering, because I have a few trails around my neighborhood that I will occasionaly ride. They are pretty wide trails I might add as well. But this bike will mostly be ridden pretty hard on dirt roads, flat land farms, and at some local tracks.

Also, two more quick things.

1.) I heared once that the suspension on the KX 100 is actually "stiffer" and worse than the KX 85. I really plan to launch this thing up over some tabletops at a local track some guys made that I plan to go to. Is this something to worry about, the suspension being weak? Or is this not true. If someone could expand on this or explain, it would be appriciated.

2.) Jetting / Redoing the top end / Rebuilding? ?!?!?! I don't understand any of it. Can anyone breifly fill me in on this information since I don't have a clue about any of it. What is needed to be done? Is it hard? Can I do it myself? Someone please clue me in on this, thanks!

THANK YOU ALL, EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU HAS GIVEN ME ALOT TO CONSIDER - YOU HAVE ALL BEEN MORE THAN HELPFUL! THANKS!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Really though, DONT worry about the suspension on the KX 100. I have seen some really fly pretty high up there. Even if it was minor suspension work that was done, none of that is any big deal.

KDX- kid#11

Apr 19, 2002
If I were you I would definately go with the KX 100. I have ridden one with an after market pipe on it and it stayed up with a stock 2000 YZ 125. I can't believe the power they have. It is awsome. For trails or on the track the KX 100 is sweet. Thats my opinion though.

cr_rider_08

Jul 17, 2003
i am also 15 i am 5' 5" i was going to get a cr 80/85 but they felt to small go with the 125 i didn't think i would be able to ride it but its that much of a difference.

Gman

Nov 30, 2000
I recently got my nephew an 03 RM85L. He is almost exactly your size. I chose the RM over the KX 100 because it retails for like $400 less and from what I've read the motor is really easy to hop up compared to the other 85's or 100's. Stock the RM has great low end and mid range and it still revs pretty good. He was riding an 01 xr100 and the transition was easier for him with the torquey motor of the RM. The 85L is also slightly taller and lighter than the KX. Either bike would be good for you and if you take care of it you should be able to sell it and put the $ toward a bigger bike when your ready.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Gman
I recently got my nephew an 03 RM85L. He is almost exactly your size. I chose the RM over the KX 100 because it retails for like $400 less and from what I've read the motor is really easy to hop up compared to the other 85's or 100's. Stock the RM has great low end and mid range and it still revs pretty good. He was riding an 01 xr100 and the transition was easier for him with the torquey motor of the RM. The 85L is also slightly taller and lighter than the KX. Either bike would be good for you and if you take care of it you should be able to sell it and put the $ toward a bigger bike when your ready.

HUH? Are you saying that the RM 100 is 400$ cheaper than the KX 100? Or are you saying that the RM 85L is cheaper 400$ cheaper? Either way, that is wrong. The KX 100 is 3,250 - The RM 100 is 3,500 - and the RM 85L is 3,200.

IMO, The KX 100 is a better deal out of those three. Not to mention, that when it comes to Suzukis and Kawasakis 85cc and 100cc bikes, they are nearly identical.

Anyway, after doing much research, my little brother is getting a KX 100. I think its such a great deal, and from what I have read, an absolutely fantastic bike. Any advice or comments?

Gman

Nov 30, 2000
Chill Dogman

Your right about the price. RM/kx 100 are great bikes but they do cost more. Not sure why the RM 100 is so much more when they are identicle except for color?? The RM85L gets great reviews also and it is a little cheaper than both KX/RM100. Also tests I've read say it has slightly better low end than the KX/RM 100 and that it responds better to mods like pipe and porting. Lastly the KX/RM 100 front fender sure is ugly!

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I've been watching amateur MX races for a few years now, but this summer I saw something truly incredible. There was a kid (not sure of his age) who raced in 3 different classes. I think he had 2 bikes, a KX85 and a KX100, and raced in the 85cc, supermini, and 125 junior classes. Anyway, even though this is 90% a rider issue, he was racing his KX100 with the 125s and would EASILY place within the top 5. That kid can FLY! Obviously, the bike wasn't holding him back any! I've heard many good things about the KX100, and I'd say it would be a good choice for you.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by Gman
Chill Dogman

Your right about the price. RM/kx 100 are great bikes but they do cost more. Not sure why the RM 100 is so much more when they are identicle except for color?? The RM85L gets great reviews also and it is a little cheaper than both KX/RM100. Also tests I've read say it has slightly better low end than the KX/RM 100 and that it responds better to mods like pipe and porting. Lastly the KX/RM 100 front fender sure is ugly!

the rm probably costs more because it has alot to offer.....i.e. contingency, trackside support, etc...

Top Bottom