michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
I just got my motor back from XRS ONLY had the 440 kit put in and on my first trail ride I smoked the clutch bad in about 8 miles. There was a lot of clutch material and metal from the plates so what i did was clean the entire clutch side of the case out with WD-40 then put new oil ran it for 5 minutes chage the oil and filter again and repeated once more. Each time I did this I check the filter by cutting it to check it. My question is what is the best thing that I can do to keep my XR going should I just have it torn down again or just run it. Any help would be helpful since this is the only week I will be able to ride until Oct. because of my job take me away from home for months at a time and i just spent a lot of money to make my XR new again. Thanks for any replies Mike

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
You aren't going to like this,, you need to replace all the clutch plates an put in stiffer springs. Once you damage a clutch as bad as you described, it is ruined. Did you replace the clutch when you did the 440 kit? If you did not that would be the root of your problem. Stock XR400 clutches barely are adequate for mild hopups.:(

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
I did put a new clutch in an EBC HD clutch kit with plates and springs. I put the old clutch back in so i would be able to ride tommorow. My big concern is after burning up the clutch is all the debris that was left in in the clutch basket that is why I flush it out with WD-40. The basket is in fine shape. Thanks for the reply. Mike

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I did basically the same thing when I toasted the clutch in my KLX300, except I poured diesel fuel through the motor and clutch area and then WD40, then filled it with motor oil and started it , warmed it up, then drained the oil 3 times before actually riding the bike. I believe the XR400 has an oil screen in the frame downtube you need to check for debris or you could burn up the motor. What conditions were you riding in when you burned up the new clutch? Did you have enough freeplay in the clutch cable? You have to pay close attention at all times, but you really need to pay real close attention to the freeplay on a new clutch the first few miles until it breaks in. I would put the HD springs in with the old plates or you might toast it again.

Good luck and Check that freeplay :)

Top Bottom