please help!

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
I have a 96 yz125 with some very messed up forks I checked on the price of the parts to fix them and it is cheaper for me to get a "new" used set off of an online store. I would like to put a set of a newer yz on my bike 98-03 but I know they beefed up the axle and the brakes I am wondering if anyone has done something like this before and what parts the had to buy I don't want to buy a whole front end if it is not necessary thanks,
theTURBOjosh

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
messed up is relative. Do you mean they feel messed up? You also have to think resale value will drop if you have a bike that have parts from diffrent bikes/year. What are the parts you need to have the forks fixed? Do plan on doing the work yourself?

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
NO HAND the metering rod in the right fork came loose from the fork cap while blitzing a very long whoop section instantly removing large particles of aluminum from the fork cap and forcing them into the lower section of the fork where the valving magic happens the particles swam around and then decided to return to their home to spawn and in the process made friends with the slider then beat him up. All the parts necessary to repair the damage average close to seven hundred dollars new so used forks off **** for $250 are a bargain. I love the bike with most of my heart so I will not be selling her I would just like the suspension performance that the youngs gals are capable of

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I ended up with one fork leg from a 98 that I needed for a project I was working with on my 97 yz.

The upper tube was slightly smaller than my 97 model was. The lower triple clamp would not tighten enough to secure it.

One interesting thing is that the insides of these forks are all very similar.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Eeh, that's a sad story. I guess messed up is the right word... Sometimes on bbay there are quite a few parts going at a very low price. Rcannon's info is very helpful in finding what year will fit with what you got. Sometimes suspension shops have so many parts from different forks it may be worth setting up a shopping list and making a few phone calls to all the suspension shops you know and ask for used parts.

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
I did a little number crunching mainly cross referencing yamaha part#s and it turns out that the 03 yz125 forks are almost entirely compatible with the 96 set up the only part I needed for the conversion was the 03 axle which is slightly longer so any one out there who has destoyed the forks on their 96-97 yz the 03 forks seem to be the hot ticket be warned the 03s use stiffer springs which will affect the handling of the bike if you do not swap the springs or replace the rear spring with a stiffer spring anyway I plan on posting a thread once I get the bike dialed in thanks for the replies and do continue to rock on! :yeehaw:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
When you say compatible im a bit confused, the cartride size is totally different as is the external tubes, in fact theres very few parts that look like they will cross over, i maybe wrong but i guess the damper rod itself maybe the same?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Now they have alloy damper rods. Marcus: something thats the same for you and me is not the same for most people , If you Know what I mean. Like some people could switch a carb from a honda with a yamaha back to back and say they are the same but In reality theyre really different when you get more specific.like this guy i know who went to the junkyard and bought a rack of carbs for his YAM XS11 , he got a set of mikuni carbs that he though was the same and a real bargain til he tried to get the intake boots to line up on the different offsets . But theyre both Mikunis . Take care Marcus.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…