hairybrain

Jun 17, 2004
How exactly do I adjust jetting on my bike? I know this has been covered many times. although I cant find any good informative websites. I now run my '97 KX125 at 32:1, although I made the mistake before of putting far too much premix in (Silkolene Comp2) - ever since the bike runs for around five minutes, smokes a lot and eventually bogs out. When this happens I cannot get the bike started - the plug is thick with black oil. When I put a new plug in it starts first time, but fouls the plug after riding for a while with the same symptoms.. I have put fresh petrol and premix (at the correct ratio) through the bike but this keeps happening. It will not even bump start anymore. The bike was a good runner before and I am really unsure what to do. Sometimes when I get it started (eventually) it will run ok and when it cuts out it restarts first time - until eventually it makes the booooawagh noise and the power cuts out. There is definitely fuel getting through the bike, although I think it must be to do with the carb,- which I've not checked yet. I've read a few posts which say to adjust the clip and jetting, and also the float bowl although I have very little mechanical knowledge. Should I take it to my dealer? I cant afford to buy a new plug for every ride...Any help or links to sites with pictures would be greatly appreciated.... :ugg: :ugg: :ugg:

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
First thing I would do is verify the stock settings for the carb in a manual or on-line somewhere. Then I would take the carb out and see what those settings are. Be careful not to empty the bowl of fuel so you can see inside when you take it off and check for contaminants. That will tell you a few other things about your bike's "features". Don't forget to clean with carb cleaner and wipe the dirt off the rubber - making sure no dirt gets down into the cylinder - before putting the carb back on.

You really need to get a manual - if you don't have one - and read everything about the carb. If neccessary, move all settings back to stock. Next get some cheap digital calipers and check the float height. I think Kawi's use the Mikuni carb right? Well, I can't help you in finding the correct way to measure the float height, maybe someone else here can.

Here is a great thread that helped solve my fouling problem:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=84820&page=1&pp=10&highlight=jetting

Here is the Keihin way to check for correct float height - my manual is incorrect - the difference was that the manual said to measure with the carb vertical, whereas the correct way is to hold the carb at about 40 degrees so the float will "fall" into place or open up a little. That is where the measurement should happen.

http://www.keihin-us.com/tune1.htm

Hope this helps you.

Top Bottom