Plug reading - Mixture ring & insulator coloring

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I would like to better understand the relationship between the width of the mixture ring and the color of the plug insulator. As I understand it, the mixture ring width is a direct function of jetting, mostly the main and to some extent needle taper. Conversely, the insulator color is mostly affected by the heat range of the plug and operating conditions. Is this right?

As an example, from plug chops I'm getting a mixture ring about 0.030" wide at the bottom of the insulator. The transition from the ring to the insulator is very crisp, less than 0.010" wide. The remainder of the insulator is predominantly white, with some very light coffee colorings. Does this indicate that the jetting is just about right, but the plug is borderline hot for this application?

In reality, I spend very little time pinned WFO in 5th, so I wouldn't think I should go with a cooler plug. Under normal trail riding, when I pull a plug after a ride, the insulator is an even caramel color. So that would indicate the heat range is appropriate for my typical riding conditions.

Just hoping to clarify this distinction.:think:

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sounds good far....:)

Have you checked the top of the piston? That to can tell you alot, that nice carmel color should be there.

Pull the pipe and look up the exhaust port. Check the piston right above the ring and that should have color...if it is shiney aluminum that can mean lean.

I have a post going about wet line jetting as a tool but that can confuse the issue .

I like to look for that ring on the plug and the overal color of the plug for heat range, then check the piston crown (when possible) and then look at the exhaust end of the piston.

You should be very close and probably better off than most...:)

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Will my bike run warmer as I get closer to correct jetting from rich jetting? (leaning it out) And if so, would I want to try a cooler range plug once I got it spot on jetted?

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by skipro3
Will my bike run warmer as I get closer to correct jetting from rich jetting? (leaning it out)
  Maybe or actually cooler...depends on the specific bike and fuel/oil combinations.

Originally posted by skipro3
And if so, would I want to try a cooler range plug once I got it spot on jetted?

Heat range of a plug has some effect on engine temps but not from being physically hotter or colder other factors cause the heat..... The heat range effects how clean the plug stays. If you run good oil and fuel and get the jetting close you can sometimes reduce the heat range. Being a tad colder is better if you run the edge or are unsure but then again it may foul if you just put around.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, talking about these rings. How long do you ride with a new plug before you pull it to check the ring? 10 minutes, 1 hour, 5 hours? Also, if you check the ring after say, 30 minutes of riding, will (with the correct jetting) it (the ring) remain the same or will it grow with more time put on the plug?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
MikeS - good idea about checking the crown coloration. So far it's running strong & showing no signs of needing a top end, but I'll definitely be looking for that at teardown. Also, I had never thought about checking the ring lands for the same color. Will do that when I pull the pipe off next time for a good cleanup.

As far as wet line jetting, that's a new one on me. Now I've got some more reading & research to do... :laugh:

MikeT - I have read here that some people put in a fresh plug & run a test, then pull it out & cut it open. I guess I'm cheap, cause I just wait until I'm ready to change one out & then do a WFO chop. The last one had 1 enduro and a couple of putt-putt trail rides with my son; maybe 10 hours run time. I did one WFO blast down the sand flats, turned around went the other way about 25 to 30 seconds WFO in 5th, and chopped it. The insulator was completely clean, so if the mixture is right I think you can get a good read on an 'old' plug. I don't think the width of the ring will change with run time, but the ring is definitely darker with more hours. Rich may clarify that... :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by 23jayhawk
I guess I'm cheap, cause I just wait until I'm ready to change one out & then do a WFO chop.

You might as well skip the plug chop then because you have no way to know what it is you are reading mixture wise. The ring will change over time because of the influence of other carb circuits, but they rarely clean up in the area we are looking at. There isn't enough heat down there to burn off the old carbon build up. Without a clean plug you are just guessing at which circuit influenced the coloring.

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
i'm a bit curious, isn't that hard on the bike to just hold it wide open in 5th for 30 seconds? Are you applying a bit of rear brake? Seems like it would try to over-rev.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I had to tap a little bit of rear brake, but not much. We've got a wide open sand flat area that's like a beach. It seems to draw quite a bit of power, and does a pretty good job of loading the engine.

But, all for naught now... :( guess I'll have to spring for a new plug to do this right.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…