23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I recently changed from Phillips 93 to Amoco 93, wondering if there would be any improvement in throttle response, etc. There was nothing significantly different in the way the bike ran. Bringing in the air screw about a 1/4 to 3/8 turn was about all that was necessary for jetting changes.

However, one odd thing I noted was that the plug now has a nice tan/caramel color. With the Phillips, the plug was always blackish dark brown. I'm not a jetting guru, but the bike was very close to being spot on. I could put in a new plug, and in an hour and a half of riding it would look like an old plug. I finally quit worrying about how the plug looked, and paid attention to how the throttle response and power felt.

So why would the Amoco fuel leave such a clean insulator? More junk in the Phillips fuel?

KDX200/ FMF K-35

158M, 45P, BEM-3, 45 deg, 650'

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
This is the time of the year they start taking oxygenates out of the gas. Maybe Amoco gas is still oxygenated in your area while Phillips changed over to non oxygenated. Or maybe the Amoco is just a better gasoline. I will shut up now.

Erik

Top Bottom